start tomato's undoors to set out in the garden.

derek-growMarch 26, 2009

i have 12 tomato plants that i'm starting inside and plan on setting them out in my garden. i have them under a 400 watt hps and a 400 watt mh. it'll be about a month or so before i'll be planting my garden. i have the ground plowed up already. my ground has nice rich dark soil. i entend to put a few bags of perlite and vermaculite on it before i till it all up. i'm also going to put some 10-10-10 and lime on it before tilling. that way i can work it all up in there really good.

my question is when i set them out in the garden do i need to get the plants use to the sun or will they be good to go? i know i have had some plants sunburn and die before, and i don't want that happening to these. i have alot of different plants that nobody else will have around here. i grew some inside this year and they were great. i can't wait to see how they do outside this time!!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wordwiz

Yes, you gradually need to introduce them to both the sun and wind. At this of the year in Cincy, I can leave them on the front porch all day but the sun is not that strong and the house helps slow down the wind a bit. Just keep an eye on yours and if they start to wilt, put them in the shade.

Mike

Bookmark   March 27, 2009 at 11:58AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
derek-grow

i now have 36 tomato plants and they are doing great. i left them outside on my front porch. they get early morning and stay in the sun till around 3:00pm. they are growing well. i will be planting them as soon as the cold spell here in kentucky breaks!! they've been outside for almost a week now. they are almost a foot tall now and have nice thick stems.

Bookmark   April 23, 2009 at 1:34AM
More Discussions
what do you use under heat mats
I have some large heat mats that I use under lights....
dowlinggram
Timers that reduce and increase lighting to simulate seasons
I was talking to MesaGardens today and he mentioned...
Bama_Joe
Yellow petunias
Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong with my petunia...
birkjar
Seed Starting Lights at night?
In my area (Nova Scotia) I have time of day metering...
youngdb
Pepper Leaf Problem
I am new to the forum, but have a question about a...
kswart19
Sponsored Products
Gizaun Art Un Wind Inside/Outside Full Color Cedar Wall Art - UW1624
$79.00 | Hayneedle
Lithophane Woodland Sunbeams Victorian Stand Lamp
$49.40 | Bellacor
Ottohome Collection Chocolate Floral Garden Design Area Rug (5' x 6'6)
Overstock.com
Sterling Industries 26-8668/S3 Set Of 3 Industrial Oil Drum Planters
Beyond Stores
Blue & Natural Hughes Indoor/Outdoor Rug
$14.99 | zulily
222 Fifth Ellis Floral Ceramic 16-piece Set
Overstock.com
Kichler Hammered Roof Bronze Landscape Path Light
Lamps Plus
Vondom | Pillow Table
YLiving.com
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™