?Ideas? Iris that smells like rootbeer.

min_mn(z3 MN)July 5, 2005

ABout 10-15 years ago at a previous residence I had a bearded iris that was some shade of rust or brown or copper. It had a fragrance that seemed very much like rootbeer.

No, I wasn't nuts. My husband and kids thought so also.

I don't recall its name. We got the iris from an elderly lady in Golden Valley, MN. She is deceased and her iris business is not longer in existance.

Any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ridgerunner14_wv(z5/6 WV)

How about Picador? My daughter and I both think mine smells just like rootbeer. Good luck with finding your iris. Darleen :)

Bookmark   July 5, 2005 at 10:47PM
randy_ca(z10 Southern Ca)

The classic bronze 'Inca Chief' has a strong, sweet fragrance definitely like that of root beer.
The color of the flower also reminds one of that beverage!

Bookmark   July 6, 2005 at 12:45AM
min_mn(z3 MN)

Thanks for the ideas.
Inca Chief sounds familiar, I'm going to try that.

Also, I like the colors of Picador - lovely - I'll try that, too.
I've got room for 5 varieties. :)

Bookmark   July 6, 2005 at 7:42AM
rroberts(5 Mich)

Keith Chadwick of Sand Hallow Garden in Napa Idaho has one that he will be calling Root Beer. We saw it when we visited the garden in May

Ruth

Bookmark   July 6, 2005 at 7:48AM
alicia7b(z7b/8aNC)

I love questions like this. I find fragrance in iris to be a fascinating subject.

Ridgerunner, what a gorgeous picture of Picador.

Bookmark   July 6, 2005 at 11:02AM
ridgerunner14_wv(z5/6 WV)

I'm glad that you liked the picture. I've only had Picador for a few years, but it is already becoming a favorite.

Darleen :)

Bookmark   July 6, 2005 at 10:06PM
fairy_toadmother

this seems to be common? there is a white one where i work, old farmsteads with left over flowers. this white iris smells like root beer!

Bookmark   July 8, 2005 at 12:59AM
only1joanie(z9az)

September Sailor which is a rebloomer smells like root beer. You can go on-line just put in the iris name and it will bring up who carries it. There are some that smell like grape also. Southland Grape, Grapette, Grape Adventure.

Bookmark   July 9, 2005 at 5:24PM
calpat(zone9ab No.Ca.)

Thank Goodness, I'm not crazy! Everytime I've asked at nurseries for the iris that smells like rootbeer, they look at me like I'm nuts. I've seen it, I had it, but had to leave it behind when I sold my home. Thanks for supplying names & suppliers! Pat

Bookmark   July 22, 2005 at 2:27PM
min_mn(z3 MN)

Hi,

When I was checking things out this is what I found:

http://www.riverview-iris-gardens.com/listI.htm

http://www.riverview-iris-gardens.com/listPB.htm

Inca Chief is the first link and picador is the 2nd one. They say they have 9,000 varieties!??!

According to the web page instructions, ignor the right column.
If they are out of it, the price column will say so.
I think that is what I recall reading, but it was 2 weeks ago.

Hope this helps.

M in MN

Bookmark   July 22, 2005 at 8:42PM
daloverat(5)

I've got a Rust colored Iris that smells like Rootbeer that I received from a neighbor a year ago, however I don't know the name of it. Quite pretty it is don't know how to add a photo here but if you'd like I can e-mail a photo of it. Next year I may divide some of them.

Bookmark   August 13, 2006 at 10:03AM
carlos42180(Z5 Chicago)

GINGERSNAP is said by Schreiner's to be their only iris to have a rootbeer scent.

Bookmark   August 19, 2006 at 12:27AM
daloverat(5)

Thanks Carlos, I went to Schreiners website and it appears that Gingersnap is what I have although mine look a bit lighter in color but pictures can be a bit off. They do smell like Rootbeer. A grower in Northern Michigan (the Iris Farm - Traverse City Mi.) does have a purple iris that too smells like rootbeer not quite as strong as Gingersnap. They don't have a web site but their phone and address is Iris Farm 5385 E. Traverse Hwy. Traverse City, MI. 49684 Phone- (231)947-9040 My wife and I went up 2 years ago at blooming time 5 acres of Wow and placed a order they (then) charged $5.00 per rhizome (for any) and the rhiazomes were huge that we received.

Bookmark   August 20, 2006 at 12:34PM
floann7_earthlink_net

I have Iris that smell like rootbeer, licorice, apricot, chocolate, creamsicle, orange peel, cream soda, nutmeg etc. Looking for others -

Bookmark   December 6, 2008 at 8:18AM
possumpony

I have one like you describe that smells like rootbeer also. It doesnt look like the pic posted either. I think it is a historic but corresponding with Schreiners I have found they too are at a loss as to the identity. I would love to know what it is and as soon as mine bloom come spring I will post pics.

Bookmark   December 31, 2008 at 1:26AM
More Discussions
Dutch Iris
Can Dutch Iris be planted in the Spring ? or are they...
maximus2015
Dried out Rhizomes - Iris
I have a few Iris that are dried out from storing them...
pinkkpearls
Do you mulch Iris Bed for winter?
I replanted all my iris after the beard iris borer...
redsun9
Too many roots!
I had a spot in the yard and grass would not grow....
jim_1 Zone 5B Illinois
Is this Immortality?
I already posted a question about this Iris (see 'Iris...
lydia1959
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™