Beans with low maturity date

cliftoniteMay 23, 2007

Last year I planted some beans that my grandma got from Indian and the 30 or so plants only produced 4 beans. There werent even any flowers on the plants. However they did grow very well (climbing a six foot trellis and coming down on the other side).

I thought that my problems may have been caused by the beans (dont know the type) long maturity date. So I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for beans that I can plant in NJ that will be productive.

I was looking at the following types from seedsofindia:

http://seedsofindia.com/cgi-bin/shop.pl?SID=1179942303.31268&page=product.html&product=10

http://seedsofindia.com/cgi-bin/shop.pl?SID=1179942303.31268&page=product.html&product=13

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin

Cliff, the first item is cluster beans (Cyamopsis tetragonolobus). The second is hyacinth bean (Dolichos lablab). Both are tropical beans requiring a long season.

The cluster beans require about 120 warm days, so you might be able to grow them. I believe that there is a GW member fairly close to you who has success with them. But of course, 120 days is far from early.

Most hyacinth beans (especially those from tropical sources) are daylength-sensitive, and will not bloom until the days shorten to 12 hours - which is mid-September. If you have enough time between then and your first frost, you might get some. Here in Wisconsin, the harvest was just beginning when the vines were killed, I only got a few handfulls.

If you are interested in early beans, I suggest that you grow one of the common beans. If you want pole varieties, I would suggest "Kwintus" or "Early Riser" (green) or "Goldmarie" (yellow). These have large, flat Romano-type beans, and mature in about 65 days.

Bookmark   May 23, 2007 at 5:53PM
More Discussions
What does "as soon as soil can be worked" really mean?
I know it might be a dumb question to ask because the...
beesneeds
Purple king beans
Hi I've grown runner beans before and found they do...
chloe456
Brown bunch beans---info....please.
My 3 rows of KY Wonder bush bean played their best...
utdeedee
Insuk's Wang Kong (red scarlet runners) part 2
I am the one that wrote the last post, so I am starting...
cabrita
Anybody know what cultivar????
Sorry about the blurry phone pics... We've been growing...
mav72
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™