Orange Pixie

gshann(Z6 PA ChesCo.)April 21, 2006

I bought 5 Orange Pixies last year, and lost the blooms after about a week or so. Maybe it was close to the end of the cycle, but that's not my question. I really didn't know too much about the plant, but when I look this year, I see exactly 26 new shoots coming up for this year. I've been away for almost a week, so that number could have even grown. My question is, at what point should these plants be divided? It sounds from other related posts that it is a little late at this time of year. Is there a risk to having so many this close together? Can they be divided this early in the year, or should I wait for fall? Will the blooms for this year be compromised because they are so close? I really like the plants, but if they are going to be this prolific in their propagation, I might look for something else...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Nancy zone 6

I bought orange pixies last season too (potted, right?). Apparently these do multiply quite quickly, because I noticed lots of bulblets & detached most of them. From experience with a pixie lily the year before, I am pretty sure that several of those babies may very well bloom this year. If yours are just now coming up, you might carefully dig & divid now without much loss of bloom, but they will do better to wait till after they have bloomed & the stem starts to die back. They should make a nice presentation when they bloom, and if you have extras you can always try trading for different lilies.

Bookmark   April 22, 2006 at 8:50AM
gshann(Z6 PA ChesCo.)

I think I'm going to leave them be this year. I've returned after being away all week, and they've easily doubled in size. I can't say for sure whether all 26 (I should count again) will bloom, but I'll certainly get more than the 5 I started with. It seems like these things would make pretty nice gifts, but you're right. I'd have plenty to swap and still have more than I can handle!!

Bookmark   April 22, 2006 at 4:52PM
gshann(Z6 PA ChesCo.)

This came from one plant...

I have four more of these!! Looks like I'll get blooms on more than one!!

Bookmark   April 26, 2006 at 5:25PM
More Discussions
new growth on oriental lily
I received an oriental lily for my anniversary in december....
angelaivy
Need help with Lilies of the Valley
Hello, I purchased a package of lilies of the valley...
Deb Capecci
What flòwer is this?
I think that this flower is some kind of lily?
kgibbs25
Asiatic Lily new blooms
One of my Perennial Asiatic Lilies came back this year...
Barlow Service Experts
Please identity my Lily
I have attached a picture of a Lily type plant that...
Terrispirit
Sponsored Products
Oxford Stripe Rug 3'6" x 5'6" - ORANGE/YELLOW
$249.00 | Horchow
AXO Light | Avir GR Ceiling Light
YLighting
Orange22 Botanist Flow Accent Bench
LuxeDecor
Hand-tufted Manhattan Ombre Orange Wool Rug (8'0 x 11'0)
Overstock.com
Canto Satin Nickel One-Light Halogen Square Canopy Wall Sconce with Amber Matte
$180.00 | Bellacor
Orange 15-LED Spotlight/Lantern
$17.99 | zulily
Chouchin 1 Pendant by Foscarini
$1,000.00 | Lumens
Loll Fire Ring - Loll Designs
$590.00 | HORNE
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™