Can you identify this bean?

afriendMay 5, 2009

Never bought the seed to this heirloom pole bean- it's just been passed from one person to the next. The pods are 6-8 inches long, not stringless, but not real stringy if picked fairly young. Delicious old time green bean taste. Green pods, fat black seeds. Is it the old black seeded Kentucky Wonder? Is it black seeded Blue Lake? Or is it something else? Can you help me identify these beans?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
macmex

I don't recall Black Seeded Blue Lake as having fat seeds. If I recall correctly Black Seeded KY Wonder (a.k.a. Aunt Marge's Black) has seed shaped like a regular KY wonder, which, in my opinion isn't fat. Is it possible for you to post a picture?

George
Tahlequah, OK

Bookmark   May 6, 2009 at 7:12AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lazyhat

Same here I have a brown Bush bean that I've growing for 10 years given to me someone else. No idea what it is.. The bean is purple when picked then rippens to a brown speckled color. Although I have a hunch mine this Kidney bean

But yeah you'll need to post a picture if anyone is going to beable to help you since there is so many different types of beans. Its just impossible to describe. :O

Bookmark   May 9, 2009 at 4:50PM
More Discussions
Japanese Sword Beans
Anyone grow these. Kitizawa seed company offers them....
denninmi
The Mayocoba Bean story
Have you heard of the controversy that evidently went...
RuthieG__TX
Interesting threads...
Searching for past posts isn't that easy, at least...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
A roll call, who is still here and staying after the "upgrade"?
Harry are you still here? I hope so! You have always...
wertach zone 7-B SC
Marvel of Venice
I'd like to try a couple of plants of the yellow pole...
barbge
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™