newby gardener

anitareneaApril 9, 2006

I am not an experienced gardener by any means. But, when I saw the asiatic lilies at lowes, I couldn't help myself. Since I planted them two weeks ago, five out of eight have lost their flowers. Will they reflower this year, and if so, do I cut off any part of the stem to help them? All of the plants still look healthy. I'm just not sure what to do now. Any help would be appreciated. Thankyou.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jeanne_in_Idaho(z5 N.Idaho)

They only bloom once a year, so if they were in bloom when you got them, they're done for the year. Once the blooming is done, you can cut off the dead flower head, just below where it starts on the stalk. That way the plants won't put their energy into seed production, but into growing a bigger, stronger bulb and roots. The remaining leaves are busy storing up nutrients and energy. Once the leaves on the stem have turned yellow or brown, you can cut it to the ground. The following spring, it will grow again and possibly bloom again. However - I'm not at all sure that Asiatic lilies will thrive in Florida. They like a good winter chill. They may or may not get bigger and/or bloom next year. I don't know if they tolerate being dug up and refrigerated and replanted in the spring.

Jeanne

Bookmark   April 10, 2006 at 11:20AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mamoo_z5(z5IN)

The only thing to add to what the poster above me said is that you should give some fertilizer now. If you liquid feed spray the foliage. You can give bulb food around the base of the lily now if you do not foliage feed. Next spring when the lily first begins to come up give more bulb food all around the base of the plant. This fertilizing will help feed the bulb to give you good blooms next year.

Bookmark   April 13, 2006 at 9:28AM
More Discussions
Need help with Lilies of the Valley
Hello, I purchased a package of lilies of the valley...
Deb Capecci
Help my Peace Lily? I think it might be dead....
It looks like this. Pretty unpromising. I think I watered...
cactussalad
Pardalinum...looking for seeds
You didn't leave a way to email you re the martagon...
mxracer264
Is this weed some sort of lily?
No idea what this is, except that it is a weed, and...
jacqueline9CA
What the heck happened to my hybrid lilies
I brought this pot of lilies at home depot and it was...
tlbean2004
Sponsored Products
Bollard Black LED Landscape Path Light
$40.91 | Lamps Plus
Gardeners Friend 3-piece Quilt Set
Overstock.com
1900 Stacking Bench - Fermob
$828.00 | HORNE
Sunshine Garden Wreath
Grandin Road
Avocado Green Planter
$19.99 | Dot & Bo