Garbanzo beans

orangedragonflyMay 19, 2007

can these be planted now in zone 6 (massachusettes). I had a unexpected spot I was going to use for something eles come free , so I was thinking of giving these a crack.

any tips, and tricks. this week its been pretty cool, although next week is supposed to be in the 70's-80's .

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
RuthieG__TX(z8 TX)

If it is warm enough...In Ma you might even try using a plastic mulch to warm the ground...I jsut told my husband that we are having a spring just like New England....damp and chilly.

Bookmark   May 21, 2007 at 2:17PM
orangedragonfly

so they are a warm weather bean. I think it should start getting warm enough this week. How tall do the plants get? I really want to do something that gets pretty tall.

Bookmark   May 21, 2007 at 9:57PM
orangedragonfly

interesting, I just found this quote "Garbanzo Beans - You will rarely see garbanzos or chick peas growing anywhere except in central California. There, they are planted in early spring, and the dry seeds are harvested in the summer. The plants look more like vetch than beans. Pods are short and numerous; each pod contains two or three plump seeds. The dried or commercial beans are so cheap there is little point in growing your own. Save the garden space and use it for growing snap beans."
\ well I may try something eles than

Bookmark   May 21, 2007 at 10:00PM
More Discussions
What does "as soon as soil can be worked" really mean?
I know it might be a dumb question to ask because the...
beesneeds
Gialet della Val Belluna Bean
Has anyone grown this, or know anything about it? I...
rosieo
where to find Hilda/Helda romano pole beans?
Two yeas ago health problems interfered with getting...
matthias_lang
Anybody know what cultivar????
Sorry about the blurry phone pics... We've been growing...
mav72
The Mayocoba Bean story
Have you heard of the controversy that evidently went...
RuthieG__TX
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™