something for my lilies to play with?

amazongogoApril 23, 2008

This is only my second year to plant stargazers/lilies. Last year I had some trouble finding a companion plant with them. I'm not looking for something to "cover them as they fade". I'm looking for something to cut the leggy appearance of the lily. Something like 1/2-1/3 the height. I put in Alyssem last year and they shriveled up and died. I thought maybe I got some bad ones or something so I replaced them. The same thing happened!! It was almost like they were being poisoned..? No sign of pests or anything similar and the lighting was sufficient. The lilies were perfectly healthy and happy! Do lilies not play well with all plants?

Any ideas??

Thanks!

~Becca~

PS-I hate pansies, gerandiums, and petunias.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Nell Jean

Salvias make good companions. Not the s. splendens that are bright red annuals, but pretty perennial salvias like salvia leucantha and many others, your choice.

I plant daylilies and true lilies together. Some bloom together, requiring careful color planning, some not, so it doesn't matter.

Roses make good companions, too.

Nell

Bookmark   April 23, 2008 at 9:22PM
linnea56(z5 IL)

Are you thinking annuals or perennials? And what height are the lilies you have?

Bookmark   April 24, 2008 at 11:17AM
paveggie(z5-6)

FYI - the alyssum probably faded 'cause of heat. Lots of times transplants in full bloom look great at first. Heat does a number on them. If they manage to survive, they often put on a flush of bloom when days cool down in fall.

Bookmark   April 25, 2008 at 5:48AM
stanly(Z03)

I planted some perennial Baby's Breath in front of some of the lilies, looked really nice.

Bookmark   April 25, 2008 at 5:49PM
More Discussions
hostaholic2 z 4, MN
Did I kill my lily bulbs?
This fall my husband had to dig up our lily bulbs to...
grandma_gardener_02
Is this a Lily, or what is it?
I planted this as a bulb over 5 years ago, basically...
jacqueline9CA
Is there any hope??
I have lilies that grow wild on the side of my house....
Twin Cities Trade
Best/Favorite Co. to get Lily Bulbs?
I would like to add some tall fragrant oriental, chinese...
aunt_lou
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™