Iris question

havasuguyAugust 4, 2009

I moved to Lake Havasu in May. I bought numerous plants, rose bushes, trees, etc. and planted. Then July hit. It gets up to 122 degrees here, so you guessed it, everything I planted died. I'll probably replant everything in late Feb. 2010 to make sure it has a couple more months to establish. Which brings me to the question.

A couple weeks ago, before the extreme summer heat, before the plants died, I bought a lot of iris bulbs online. Then the other day, my $220 worth of iris arrived. (I know. I got the fever one week.) I wanted to create a good size iris garden, obviously. However, I'm concerned about planting these bulbs right now. I'm not an expert on irises, but I know they do like sun exposure. Now I'm wondering if it might be TOO much sun. Should I wait a couple weeks to plant these bulbs? (Will they live?) Should I pot them and place them in my garage for now? (dark) Leave them in the boxes they came in for a few weeks? Or just plant them in a semi shaded location outside, then move to the full sun garden area? Or just plant them in full sun, where they'll sleep safely underground until fall. I can't stand the thought of my garden investment going up in flames, literally.

All of your thoughts are appreciated.

-Terry

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mike_g_(Zone 5b OH)

If I were you I would use Walter Moore's method. It is the second article on this page of my web page. It is great for hot weather areas.

Mike G

Here is a link that might be useful: Walter's Potting Method

Bookmark   August 4, 2009 at 12:57PM
timmba

........excellent article. Good information since I've received nearly 100 new iris varieties this year. and the potting up method described is exactly what I do with new arrivals. I didn't know anyone else did this.

Bookmark   August 5, 2009 at 2:39PM
lazy_gardens

Havasuguy -
Open the boxes, get them out of any plastic, snd put them in a cool dark place for a few weeks. This hell of a summer can't last forever.

Them plant them in mid-September or later.

Bookmark   August 5, 2009 at 6:04PM
fairview

Nope, they don't stand a chance. You shouldn't even waste your time, sweat and energy. Just send them to me.

Bookmark   August 5, 2009 at 9:44PM
More Discussions
Transplant and blooming
Hello to you all! I might as well preface this by saying...
ZachS. z5 Littleton, CO
Consequences of transplanting in winter/early spring, zone 5
Hello, I have a question about transplanting irises....
kmburton
1st Dutch iris open (bulb)
I love bearded iris. But I'm also a sucker for bulb...
irisgal_z9
Seedling
Here is photo of an SDB I have been looking at out...
criris_z8
Dutch Iris
Can Dutch Iris be planted in the Spring ? or are they...
maximus2015
Sponsored Products
Duke Blue Devils 20-Oz. Mason Jar & Lid
$9.99 | zulily
Wild at Heart Canvas
$149.99 | Dot & Bo
Modern Fan Company | Halo Ceiling Fan
$384.00 | YLighting
Abetta Flex Nylon Round Skirt Saddle - 20501F4BK
$363.75 | Hayneedle
Minka Lavery Clarte Bath Chrome 21 3/4" High Wall Sconce
Lamps Plus