Sprouted Lily Bulbs

mindysuewhoApril 19, 2008

Hi, I have never planted a lily bulb before. A few weeks ago I bought a bag of Asiatic bulbs in Home Depot. Today I went to plant them and they are sprouted. They have white sprouts that are bent in a U shape. Should I just plant them as is, cut off the sprout, etc.? Any advice appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
redpeony

I would plant them very carefully the way they are. I believe that if you break off that sprout, they will not flower this year for you.

Bookmark   April 19, 2008 at 9:58PM
mindysuewho

Thanks for the advice, Redpeony. I have planted them and am keeping my fingers crossed!

Bookmark   April 20, 2008 at 10:14PM
Nancy zone 6

And be careful of digging early next spring. I had some I purchased on clearance with the stems all curved. I got some weak blooms from them. Last spring I saw how frost had pushed the bulb out of the ground so I thought, before it really starts growing, I'm going to bury it. Got a shovel, chose a spot a few inches away so as not to damage the bulb, sliced into the ground & heard a sickening crunch. Because the stem had curved, where it met the surface of the soil it grew some new bulbs. Of course, I chose a spot a few inches away HAD to be right where the original bulb was & I sliced right into it. It was a huge bulb, I replanted it, but needless to say, it didn't bloom last year.

Bookmark   April 23, 2008 at 2:45PM
More Discussions
Where to plant six foot lilies?
I didn't realize they would get this tall. Now, I...
sibur50
Need help with Lilies of the Valley
Hello, I purchased a package of lilies of the valley...
Deb Capecci
strange baby foliage
Rosidah
Extra large lily bulb
My daughter in Oregon recently dug a large Silk Road....
flowergirl70ks
Is this weed some sort of lily?
No idea what this is, except that it is a weed, and...
jacqueline9CA
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™