LED for seedlings

niftynabber(z5 NY)March 17, 2011

I've read through most of the other threads about LED grow lights, but I still have a few questions, go figure! :)

I only want to grow seedlings for my outside garden. I'm not planning on growing tall, leafy, mature, fruit baring plants inside.

From what I've read here, Red light is for growing, Blue is for flowering/fruit baring. For seedlings, I should concentrate of getting a red LED fixture, or should I get the red/blue mix?

Also, from what I've read here, the longer I plan on growing a plant, (tall, leafy, mature, fruit baring) the better the fixture, hence, more expensive. But as I said, I'm just growing seedlings, can I get away with a cheaper fixture? I can get a 14w, 135 red 660nm, 30 blue 30nm, 30 orange 610nm, 30 white full spectrum (or so they say).

What do you think?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wordwiz

1) You have the colors backwards - red is for blooming

2) A 14 watt panel will only cover a square foot, maybe 14" square

3) For half the cost of one LED panel, you can buy two shop lights and ~16 sq. ft. They will also do a better job.

4) To cover the same area (16 sq. ft.) will cost you about $8 per growing year (two months) more for electricity using shop lights. But buying six LED panels will set you back about $250.

If you are stuck on LEDs, look into something like a 125-watt panel that allows you to control the amount of red and blue. Or wait a couple of years until they are actually ready for prime time!

Mike

Bookmark   March 17, 2011 at 6:28PM
niftynabber(z5 NY)

Yeah, I'm set up with 4' flo's now, and will probably stay with them since I already got 'em.

But is my thinking correct? If you're only growing seedlings, wouldn't you want more blue than red LEDs?

Bookmark   March 17, 2011 at 7:58PM
wordwiz

Yes, way more. I tried an experiment a couple of years ago, growing basil under all red, all blue, and red and blue LEDs. The all red fell over - stems so weak and long they could not support a couple of leaves. The red/blue were okay, but rather leggy. The all blue were great.

Mike

Bookmark   March 18, 2011 at 12:16AM
colokid(5)

My experience with a 14 watt panel is that it is all most useless. Not enough light. A 48 watt unit works for me if not too big an area, like a foot square and 6 inches above.

Bookmark   March 22, 2011 at 2:06PM
niftynabber(z5 NY)

I think I'm staying with my 4' fluor's. But I'm interested in the idea of blue light to promote leave growth. I noticed that the blue fluor. compacto mini-spiral bulbs (13w) aren't quite as brite, as the whiter light bulbs. Will the blue still be benefitional? They get pretty hot too!

Bookmark   March 23, 2011 at 9:35AM
taz6122(N.W. AR.6b)

People on another forum have tried the actinic 10,000k bulbs and have stated they will burn plants being close enough to provide sufficient light. I'm not willing to test that theory.

Bookmark   March 23, 2011 at 11:18AM
More Discussions
Lamp says "MAX 20W". Can I go higher with CFL or LED?
My lamp says that I should not put a light bulb in...
dxniel
Grow Lights vs Outdoor Greenhouse for indoor seeds
Good afternoon, I am starting a lot of seeds indoors...
Kim Phelan
LED Grow Light for Peppers and Tomatoes
New to the forum here and not sure where to post this,...
jyi1234
Timers that reduce and increase lighting to simulate seasons
I was talking to MesaGardens today and he mentioned...
Bama_Joe
Browning and drying avocado leaves
I've been growing two avocado plants for about 10 months...
leuconoe
Sponsored Products
A19 Lighting | Venus Mini Pendant Light
$284.99 | YLighting
3'' Pink Glitter LED Candle
$8.99 | zulily
Lattice Satin Black Five LED-Light Wall Sconce/Bath Fixture with White Etched Sh
$630.00 | Bellacor
Bulbrite Clear Flame Tip CA10 Medium Base Incandescent Light Bulb - 32 pk. Multi
$79.84 | Hayneedle
MaxLite MLVT22D4235 ArcMAX Volumetric LED Panel, 3500K
EnvironmentalLights.com
Modern Style PE Material LED Mobile Lamp in Vase Shape
ParrotUncle
Patio Living Concepts Lamps Seaside 34 in. Outdoor White Table Lamp with
Home Depot
Cardito Linear Suspension by Eglo
$1,170.00 | Lumens
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™