Toad lily was broken off will it live?

moonpuppieMay 24, 2008

Hello, This is my first post so I hope I'm in the right forum. I am a novice gardener (this is the first time I've had a yard to do it in) but as I was saying I purchased 6 mixed toad lilies and planted them first thing this spring. We got a new dog who likes to dig. She did not get the roots (I'm not sure of the proper term for them) but they were broken off at the soil line. They were supposed to be 2 year grown plants and the roots look strong but I'm afraid they won't come up this year...or at all after that. Any advice or am I upset over nothing?

Thanks for the help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

I wouldn't worry. Toad lilies (Tricyrtis species) are not really lilies at all but herbaceous perennials with a rhizomatous (spreading) root system. They are typically tough plants adaptable to a range of conditions, but prefer shady conditions and reasonable soil with adequate moisture. Damaging the top growth at this point in the growing season is very recoverable and there's a good chance the plant will bloom just fine this fall. I might want to consider protecting newly planted perennials to avoid further dog damage :-)

Bookmark   May 24, 2008 at 8:19AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
moonpuppie

Thanks for the info and I've put up fences already. And thank goodness the dog is getting trained she hasn't gotten in any of them since.

Bookmark   May 24, 2008 at 9:23PM
More Discussions
Is this a Lily, or what is it?
I planted this as a bulb over 5 years ago, basically...
jacqueline9CA
id for pink crinum
I am looking for the botanical name for the pink crinum...
linda_leaf z10fla
Is there any hope??
I have lilies that grow wild on the side of my house....
Twin Cities Trade
strange baby foliage
Rosidah
lily virus
Hello all - Here is a picture taken this summer of...
jebfarm
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™