iris's disapearing

RyykkAugust 20, 2012

I noticed that some of my iris's were browning and suddenly they seemed to just disappear. When I dug into the garden I found many empty husks of rhizomes. Additionally they few that were left were orange on the inside instead of white and smelled of sulfur and decay. There seemed to be a number of parallel holes in the rhizomes but I thought this could be where roots had previously emerged from the rhizome.

I have been growing iris in this spot for 20 years without any difficulty. I cut off the bad sections and washed them off. Interesting fact was that some of the decaying rhizomes were sending up new green shoots.

Is this insect damage or is this a microbiological infection? What is the best way to treat it and the surrounding soil? I have an oxygen based food safe bleach that is used in the beverage industry to sterilize containers, will this work?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)

That sounds like bacterial rot. I just scrape up the soil and throw it away. Sometimes you can cut off the affected part of the rhizome and let it dry out and replant. I cut until there is no more brown coloration. A lot of people claim that a short soak in a 10% bleach-water solution is a good practice.

Most plant the rhizomes in a new spot, and give the soil a rest from irises.

I believe the bacteria thrives in moist and humid conditions.

Renee

Bookmark   August 21, 2012 at 12:35AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
slate_stone(z6Tn)

i treat bacterial rot with dawn dishwashing soap and a gardenhose sprayer

Bookmark   September 17, 2012 at 3:10PM
More Discussions
Help identifying two irises.
I took these photos in Siena, Italy and I would like...
bill_ri_z6b
help with my bearded irises
About 2 years ago I moved. Not wanting to leave my...
badjar
Question about Bearded Irises
I planted two Jurassic Park bearded irises two years...
GrammaFluff
Anyone know how to reach Zebra Gardens?
Hello! I found Zebra Gardens and their breathtaking...
redwolfdoc_z5
Maybe Triple Your Pleasure?
I was so pleased by the ample rebloom I got from Double...
harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™