New to iris-need thinning

nanaof5(z5MO)August 30, 2008

We purchased a house last December and have an iris bed so thick, they are smothering each other. The leaves are pretty much died down now. I am disabled and cannot do the work myself, I will need to get my grandkids (teens)out to do the work.

The iris are under a mulch of landscape rock. What to do? I do not even know where to start. HELP!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
iris_gal(z9 CA)

Do you know if they are bearded iris?

Beardeds need to have 6 weeks before the first frost to put down roots. To divide an old tangled clump, dig up the entire mass, dig in some bonemeal or bulb fertilizer, hose the dirt off the mass, toss old withered rhizomes and replant firm ones. If you need to cut a withered portion away from firm, allow the cut to heal overnight in the shade. Cut leaves by 1/2 to keep them from tipping over. Give them a real soaking and ignore for the next month. Then another good soak if you haven't had rain.

Bookmark   August 30, 2008 at 4:53PM
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

You might also want to read through the FAQ here at the forum. How do I dig, divide, and transplant bearded irises?

I would start my having them rake the landscape rock well out of the way, so it won't end up full of soil.

Sue

Bookmark   August 30, 2008 at 6:34PM
nanaof5(z5MO)

Thanks for your response. Yes they are bearded iris, they are beautiful and the colors vary. The bed is the whole width of the house. The landscape rock cannot even be seen because of all of the folage.

My grandkids are going to love me, hehehe.

Bookmark   August 31, 2008 at 10:47AM
More Discussions
Irises
I live in Virginia and was told I need to cut back...
maxymom
Bottle Rocket
Pretty Tall Bearded from last years bloom, Crossed...
criris_z8
Question about Bearded Irises
I planted two Jurassic Park bearded irises two years...
GrammaFluff
Do you mulch Iris Bed for winter?
I replanted all my iris after the beard iris borer...
redsun9
Homeless US Navy Veteran w. Iris seed to trade
Hello, I currently live at the Homeless Veterans Emergency...
BearState
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™