Reblooming Iris

chere(7)August 29, 2008

Does climate have anything to do with an iris reblooming? I live in CA where it is hot and dry most of the time. Is there a trick to getting a iris to rebloom?

Thank you

Chere

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jain(n ca 9 sunset 9)

no trick, if you live in ca i think you need to divide every 2 years for maximum blooms spring and summer, they just grow to fast here and crowd out and you will get small rhizomes and blooms.

Bookmark   August 29, 2008 at 11:36AM
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

Per the link below...

Reblooming Iris
Normally all bearded Iris will bloom in the spring. There are some varieties that have a genetic tendency to bloom a second time usually in the late summer or fall. These Iris have been called "Remontant" or "Reblooming" Iris. But such rebloom is often dependent on geographic locations, climatic conditions and cultural practices. We are listing the reblooming Iris that have been the most consistent reblooming Iris for us in Oregon. But remember remontancy is NOT guaranteed.

A local grower/seller here only lists the ones that have reliably rebloomed for her as rebloomers on her price list with descriptions, which I find is quite nice.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Reblooming Iris

Bookmark   August 29, 2008 at 12:03PM
iris_gal(z9 CA)

Chere ~~ I have read it is important to give water in the summer plus another feeding.

Bookmark   August 29, 2008 at 7:27PM
chere(7)

Thank you for all the information. I just ordered some reblooming iris. I am going to lay down some small chicken wire first because a gopher did get in to my front flower bed and ate two then cover it up with some good soil I bought. I will also mix in bone mill and sprinkle with repellent for skunks and raccoons and other critters who might dig them up while looking for other things. I'll let you know if they rebloom.

Chere

Bookmark   August 29, 2008 at 8:30PM
More Discussions
Maybe Triple Your Pleasure?
I was so pleased by the ample rebloom I got from Double...
harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
Looking for iris Frost and Flame
Hi, I m looking for the iris Frost and Flame by the...
gibsongirl74_gw
Consequences of transplanting in winter/early spring, zone 5
Hello, I have a question about transplanting irises....
kmburton
Over wintering bearded Iris plants and Dutch Iris bulbs
I have recently purchased about 14 bearded Iris plants...
keegans31
Herbicide recommendation for iris bed
Hello, I am usually solely a contributor in the vegetable...
hokiehorticulture
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™