spacing bush beans?

novice_2009(zone 6b)May 23, 2009

I have a small garden, so every inch counts! I planted provider bush beans, and they have sprouted. How far should they be spaced, can they grow close together? How wide and tall will they get? The info wasn't on seed packet, it was part of a package. First time growing any kind of bean. Any advice would be helpful!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
farmerdilla

If you have already planted them I would not worry about it. Normal spacing is 2-4 inches. They get 16-20 inches tall and 12 -15 inches wide on average.

Bookmark   May 23, 2009 at 6:49PM
novice_2009(zone 6b)

Really? They are about 3" to 4" apart. So I don't need to move them? They will do fine that close together? I was thinking I'd have to move them ! Thanks for the info!!!

Bookmark   May 24, 2009 at 3:40PM
iam3killerbs(7 NC Sandhills)

Just as a note, Some varieties are larger and others are compact. If you plant them at the recommended spacing and they seem crowded when mature and bearing, consider a wider spacing next year.

I personally find that the Dragon Langeries I love need a little extra elbow room because after the first picking they often put on some extra growth and give you 2-3 more flushes of beans on the new growth.

So I put them about 5-6 inches in both directions in their blocks instead of 3-4 inches apart with 6 inches between rows.

Bookmark   May 25, 2009 at 3:07PM
booberry85(5)

Novice, FYI, bean plants do not like to have their roots disturbed. Moving the plants might create more problems. I planted my beans this year about 4 inches apart. I did this last year and it worked out great.

Bookmark   May 26, 2009 at 9:24AM
novice_2009(zone 6b)

Thanks booberry, but I moved a couple, and they are fine. My only problem is ants......there's two plants they are munching on. put garlic cloves in hills, planted basil seeds, tansy, marigold nearby to keep them in check. They are in hills, about 3" apart. I've planted them to put corn blocks in between.

Bookmark   May 31, 2009 at 12:42AM
More Discussions
if you don't like getting emails every time someone replies...
Click on "Your Houzz", Edit Profile, Advanced...
fusion_power
Gialet della Val Belluna Bean
Has anyone grown this, or know anything about it? I...
rosieo
2015 Growing season
I've just been going through my stash making a list...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
Canning crowder peas VS Freezing, my take on the subject
Last year I decided to can some of my Hercules crowder...
wertach zone 7-B SC
The Mayocoba Bean story
Have you heard of the controversy that evidently went...
RuthieG__TX
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™