Italian Beans

drumz1May 29, 2008

I have planted a row of the "Italian" variety of beans in a raised bed. Since I haven't grown this type of bean before, I'm not certain if it grows as a bush or a pole style of bean. I'm beginning to think it's a climbing vine, and am wondering if I should build a trellis for the row (and I could be entirely wrong in my assumption).

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

drumz1

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jimster(z7a MA)

The question is, are they bush beans or pole beans. To answer that, we need to know the name of the variety. Do you have that? Where did you obtain the seeds?

Jim

Bookmark   May 29, 2008 at 8:16PM
drumz1

Jim wrote: "The question is, are they bush beans or pole beans. To answer that, we need to know the name of the variety. Do you have that? Where did you obtain the seeds?"

I received the seeds from my next-door neighbor. I asked him today what the variety of the beans was and he gave me an empty packet, which read "Bush Romano" (Burpee Early Bush Italian Frijol De Jardin).

Being a newcomer to raising these type of beans, I will admit to being confused as to the correct way of growing the plant. I have raised the "bush" style of bean (Blue Lake) before, but this is a first for me on this type, so kindly forgive my ignorance here, if you will.

I'm not certain if a trellis would be the correct thing to use or not in this particular instance.

Thanks, Jim (or anyone else who wishes to comment) for your help, I really do appreciate it.

Regards,
drumz1

Bookmark   May 31, 2008 at 12:18AM
farmerdilla

You grow the bush Romano just like you do the Blue Lake.

Bookmark   May 31, 2008 at 8:00AM
shirleywny5(5)

No matter what variety, bush beans are never climbers. There are Romano beans that climb, however it will say so on the package.

Bookmark   May 31, 2008 at 4:30PM
More Discussions
Stringless pole bean?
Hello, I would like to find a good pole bean that has...
cowabunga1
Margaret Best Greasy Cut Short
These took 66 days to the first picking. I planted...
shuffles_gw
Marvel of Venice
I'd like to try a couple of plants of the yellow pole...
barbge
The Mayocoba Bean story
Have you heard of the controversy that evidently went...
RuthieG__TX
2015 Growing season
I've just been going through my stash making a list...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™