Too much inoculant???

lilionMay 12, 2011

If this becomes a duplicate post, I apologize, but I know I posted yesterday and can't find it at all.

I have planted my pole beans in the same place for several years now. I have a fixed trellis and it's the only place. So I thought this year I should use some inoculant. I bought a little bag of granulated inoculant and used it as directed, just sprinkling it over the seeds, but I was heavy-handed. Before I knew it I'd used most of the package that was meant for a 40 foot row in about 8 feet. It's the same color as the soil, so I couldn't scoop it out. So I went ahead and planted.

My question is, will my beans: 1) Die, or 2) Be fine, or 3) become giant mutant stalks I can climb on like Jack.

Thanks in advance for any answers!

Alys

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cindy-eatonton

Hey Alys,

I don't think it will hurt your beans at all. Innoculant is intended for use in areas that have never had legumes (if I understand this - not a wizard on the biology of beans). I can't imagine that you've done anything worse than waste the $$$ on the inoculant.

I vote for "Be fine".

-Cindy

Bookmark   May 12, 2011 at 7:49PM
lilion

Thanks! I'm glad they'll be okay.

Although I was kinda hoping for that stalk to climb.

Bookmark   May 13, 2011 at 9:54PM
Belgianpup(Wa/Zone 7b)

Yes, just wasted money.

But if you do get a giant beanstalk, ***BE SURE*** to let us know! That would be fun! Just don't forget to put some red flashing LED lights on it so it doesn't become a danger to passing aircraft.

Tip: you don't need much inoculant because it multiples in the nodules, so next time swish your seed beans with a little whole milk to wet them down and pour out the excess milk, then mix the inoculant with the milk-dampened seeds. The fat in the milk helps the inoculant stick to the seeds better than water, and doing it this way makes the inoculant go farther.

Sue

Bookmark   May 15, 2011 at 3:43PM
More Discussions
A roll call, who is still here and staying after the "upgrade"?
Harry are you still here? I hope so! You have always...
wertach zone 7-B SC
Catjang/Brow Bean
I saw an interesting Vigna offered on eBay the other...
nightbloomincereus 7A noVA
How is the harvest going?
Just wondering how everyone's harvest results have...
deanriowa
Show Me Your Trellis
This bean trellis was anchored by three foot long steel...
jimster
Japanese Sword Beans
Anyone grow these. Kitizawa seed company offers them....
denninmi
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™