is it too late too plant sugar snap peas

filixMay 1, 2007

I'm in z5 southern Maine. I want to plant some burpee sugar snap peas and some oregon sugar pod 11. I think I'm a little late. But I have never grown peas before. Can I plant them now, or should I just wait for a fall crop. Thanks. filix

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Violet_Z6(6a)

Check with your state's Extension Service. Each county should have it's own Cooperative Extension Office which provides free publications and information for the asking. They will have valuable vegetable/gardening tables available specifically for your area determined by universities, and horticultural research scientists who have collected data from growing those crops in your state. Your tax dollars are already paying for this service so you may as well get some use out of it.

See how detailed these examples are:

Vegetable Planting and Planning Calendar for Missouri (download the pdf) complete with spring and fall planting dates (underneath the spring planting dates for appropriate crops), how much to plant per person, etc. They can also tell you the average last frost date for your area and ideal planting times for specific crops and varieties in your area.

Here is an excerpt:

Bookmark   May 3, 2007 at 12:57PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
filix

Thanks violet! I will check out our site here. filix

Bookmark   May 3, 2007 at 9:11PM
More Discussions
black gandules
Hi, does anyone know where I can find black gandules?...
ily68
The Mayocoba Bean story
Have you heard of the controversy that evidently went...
RuthieG__TX
if you don't like getting emails every time someone replies...
Click on "Your Houzz", Edit Profile, Advanced...
fusion_power
A roll call, who is still here and staying after the "upgrade"?
Harry are you still here? I hope so! You have always...
wertach zone 7-B SC
Catjang/Brow Bean
I saw an interesting Vigna offered on eBay the other...
nightbloomincereus 7A noVA
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™