Tiger Lilies

plove53(6)May 10, 2006

How and when do you devide Tiger Lilies?

I had mine in the ground for around 4 years now and they grow so stronge and was thinking if I should divide soon.

thnaks,

-p

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jeanne_in_Idaho(z5 N.Idaho)

You can dig and divide any time the number of plants has increased, and/or when they are getting crowded and/or when bloom quality declines. The best time to divide is when the foliage has died down, or early in spring before they sprout. You can actually transplant lilies any time, if you are careful, but it's easier on them when they don't have a lot of foliage to support. Lily bulbs never go completely dormant, nor do they grow new basal roots every year like tulips and narcissus, so do your best to keep all the roots on the bottom of the bulb intact for replanting. Don't tear the roots off the bulb. Spread the roots out in the hole when you replant. Don't bother trying to keep stem roots. They are temporary, as the stem dies down every year. However, if you're transplanting when the foliage is still green and healthy, yes, keep those stem roots! Roots that are attached to stem bulbs are different; if you plan to separate and replant the baby bulbs that grow on the stem, try to preserve the roots that are attached to those bulbs.

Jeanne

Bookmark   May 10, 2006 at 12:10PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
plove53(6)

thanks... I'll try after they bloomed

Bookmark   May 16, 2006 at 11:28AM
More Discussions
Need help with Lilies of the Valley
Hello, I purchased a package of lilies of the valley...
Deb Capecci
Is there any hope??
I have lilies that grow wild on the side of my house....
Twin Cities Trade
Storing my newly purchased lily bulbs
I just purchased many lily bulbs, mostly oriental....
grammabarb
What the heck happened to my hybrid lilies
I brought this pot of lilies at home depot and it was...
tlbean2004
strange baby foliage
Rosidah
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™