Transplanting Lillies

Kalie(9 - Jacksonville, Florida)May 14, 2013

When we moved into our current house, there were a lot of lillies growing along a fence that we demolished. I dug up the lillies and moved all of the bulbs to another area in the yard. This was supposed to be a short-term solution to try and save the plants. I just put them in a low spot and covered with some soil. They are very crowded. I didn't end up transplanting them last year because I was so busy with other garden projects. But now I am wanting to move them somewhere. My question is, is there anything special that I should do before transplanting the bulbs somewhere else? There are long 2' green leaves on most of the bulbs (which have been there since I originally dug them up) but not many roots. Do I peel off any of the scales on the bulbs before planting? Should I fertilize now or wait until they get used to the new location?

Any help would be much appreciated. :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
socks

Here's my 2 cents....

I'm just starting with lilies myself, but the way I see your situation is that they certainly will not do well where they are now so you should try to transplant them.

Prepare your transplant area by loosening up the soil. Get your holes ready so the bulbs are out of the ground a minimum amount of time. Gently dig them up, don't remove any scales, replant. Water them in. If it's hot you might shade them for a day or two. I don't know about feeding, but I would wait a couple weeks for them to settle in. I bet they will be just fine.

PS Be careful not to snap off green growth.

This post was edited by socks12345 on Tue, May 14, 13 at 15:48

Bookmark   May 14, 2013 at 3:42PM
More Discussions
Is this weed some sort of lily?
No idea what this is, except that it is a weed, and...
jacqueline9CA
Are my Calla Lilies sprouting too soon?
I live in British Columbia, we are still having very...
bcroselover
id for pink crinum
I am looking for the botanical name for the pink crinum...
linda_leaf z10fla
new growth on oriental lily
I received an oriental lily for my anniversary in december....
angelaivy
got my first peace lilly...
On the sale rack at a big box store. Ive looked around...
jameya
Sponsored Products
Barcelona Daybed
IFN Modern
Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Lilly Coral 5' x 7' 6"
$98.97 | Home Depot
Perry Ellis Asian Lilly 3-piece Mini Duvet Cover Set
Overstock.com
29'' x 35'' Lilli Bell Plush Blanket
$12.99 | zulily
Lillie Lamp
Grandin Road
Pick-Me-Up Canvas Pouch
$32.00 | Horchow
Perry Ellis Asian Lilly 3-Piece Comforter Set
Overstock.com
Classic Lilly Collection Lead Free Pull Out Sprayer Kitchen / Bar Faucet Brushed
eModern Decor
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™