Tiger Lily Beginnings

kangaru31May 1, 2009

last night i stumbled across this tiger lily. I have not had a lot of experience with lilies in the past and i have had NO experience with lilies since i have moved to florida. i need help with them. first of all...the tag says they are tiger lilies. looking at the pictures below is the tag correct? now as far as growing them in florida i need help. is it possible to keep them as an indoor houseplant or must they be planted in the ground? has anyone had success growing them indoors? if i am indeed unable to keep them indoors what are the sun exposure requirements for when i do put them in the ground? ANY help that you can give me is VERY MUCH appreciated by both me and my new lily! thanks everyone!

burr

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alina_1

1. It is not a Tiger Lily. It is an Oriental.
2. Lilies are not indoor plants. They must be planted outdoors.
3. They might never bloom for you again. Lilies need cold period every winter to bloom. People have problems to get them blooming even in zone 8. Sorry, this plant is not appropriate for you climate zone.

Bookmark   May 1, 2009 at 12:53PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
diene(Z4ME)

You could simulate winter for them by waiting for the flowering to end and the foilage to die back and then dig the bulb out of the pot (I have planted lilies in my garden in their pots when I wanted to make sure the new bulbs they produced were easy to find.
Take the resulting bulbs and put them in peat moss and a baggie and freeze them for a month or more, then bring them out and let them first thaw in soil with minimal sun and generally increase the sun and temp. If you have central air, you could bring the bulb inside after it blooms and put it in the coldest room of the house while it dies back.
Lots of work but it could be done. Depends on how much you want to do this. Up north here, we have to dig our dahlias, cannas, glads if we want them to survive and find a place to keep them over the winter. I have had minimal success with this.
Good luck.
diene
By the way, I believe your lily is a stargazer.

Bookmark   May 3, 2009 at 11:17AM
More Discussions
Are my Calla Lilies sprouting too soon?
I live in British Columbia, we are still having very...
bcroselover
got my first peace lilly...
On the sale rack at a big box store. Ive looked around...
jameya
Lily of the Valley issue
I have an old patch of lily of the valley in front...
scutterbotch
"boarder lillies"
I am looking for some interesting perennial choices...
posierosie_zone7a__
Where to plant six foot lilies?
I didn't realize they would get this tall. Now, I...
sibur50
Sponsored Products
Filament Design Pendant Lights Concord 1-Light Bronze Incandescent Ceiling
Home Depot
Mirror Image Tiger Cowrie Shells 30157
Beyond Stores
Stacy Garcia Burlap Print Ava 6-Light Bronze Pendant
Lamps Plus
Detroit Tigers Game Time Jar
$9.99 | zulily
Swoop Bronze Three Light Island Pendant with 12-Inch Tiger Glass
$451.00 | Bellacor