What is your favorite bush bean variety?

jerem(5b)May 12, 2010

Im planting bush beans for the first time this year and im wondering what your favorite varietys are? Im looking for heaviest yeilding. I bought some Provider Green beans and they look pretty good anyone have any opinions?

Thank you :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
deanriowa(4b)

A lot of people like Contender, it is good bean, but I prefer Empress for a green snap and Cherokee Wax for a wax bean.

I am trying Roma II, Annelino di Trento, Antea and Golden Wax this year as well to see if I have any winners.

Dean

Bookmark   May 13, 2010 at 11:02AM
farmerdilla

Newer introductions like Valentino, Hialeah etc will have larger yield potential. Contender has been around for a while (1950) and has best flavor of any bush bean for southern style cooking. Not everyone likes it however. Good producer. Your Provider is also a pretty good bean. I don't care for the taste but the Blue Lake bush varieties are good producers and relatively popular.

Bookmark   May 13, 2010 at 11:42AM
whgille(FL 9b)

I tried Nano Vittoria and Hildora this season and they did very well for me, taste as well as production.

Yesterday's harvest

Silvia

Bookmark   May 13, 2010 at 12:34PM
alouwomack(Zone 7)

Nice harvest Silvia!

Has anyone ever grown Heavyweight II from Burpee??? I've not had much luck getting it to sprout but the plants that did are already blooming. "Fingers Crossed"

-Amber

Bookmark   May 15, 2010 at 3:15PM
booberry85(5)

I take it you're looking for snap bush beans? I have a few favorites. Derby is a great green bush bean. It held up well to some less than desirable weather here in the Northeast the past few years (cool & rainy). Blue Lake Bush beans are another great green bean, produces well and is readily available at big box stores & gardening centers. Cherokee Wax & Kinghorn Wax are great yellow beans and you can find them in the "cheap" seeds. Purple Queen is my favorite purple bush bean. I think it produces a little better than Royalty Purple or Royalty Burgundy. I also love Dragon Tongue beans (yellow with purple streaks) for the novelty.

Bookmark   May 16, 2010 at 8:19AM
More Discussions
Marvel of Venice
I'd like to try a couple of plants of the yellow pole...
barbge
The Mayocoba Bean story
Have you heard of the controversy that evidently went...
ruthieg__tx
How is the harvest going?
Just wondering how everyone's harvest results have...
deanriowa
Genetics of Phaseolus lunatus
I really enjoy some of the colorful pole limas, but...
theodosiaunderwood
Interesting threads...
Searching for past posts isn't that easy, at least...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
Sponsored Products
Lester High Gloss Black and Silver Bookcase
Zuri Furniture
Sunset Trading Brookhaven Extension Table in Wheat with Pecan Top
Beyond Stores
Metropolitan Traditional 41" Wide Clear Glass Chandelier
Lamps Plus
Lush Decor Ivory 84-inch Ruffle Curtain Panel
Overstock.com
Solid Copper Hammered Wall Tile
Signature Hardware