Do I need to install lights?

milocrabApril 25, 2011

Hi all, I'm planning to grow some leafy greens indoor in front of a large north-facing window, but am not sure if I need extra lights. I live in a high rise apartment building, with every single one of the windows facing north; no balcony. However, I live on the 32nd floor with no obstruction in front, and the window area is quite large (the area where I plan to plant has a 3 meter wide window). I have a light meter and had been checking lux levels for 2 weeks. On a lightly overcast day, the level is approximately 5000-6000 lux after 8:30am and gradually rises to 9000-10000 lux around 11:00am; and keep the same intensity till 2 pm then decrease to 6000 lux around 4 pm.

I'd also read about " Daily Light Integral (DLI)", according to the data that I collected over the short 2 weeks interval; my planting area should be around 4.5 mol.m2/day on a cloudy day, and around 6 mol.m2/day on a clear day. If I'm only planning to grow collards, mustard greens, cabbage and some Asian vegetables like pok choi and tatsoi, do you think I need to install some artificial lights to supplement the window light? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
clones2

Do your north windows get any direct sunlight?

Bookmark   April 25, 2011 at 8:02AM
milocrab

Does it have to be direct sunlight? I get a tiny patch of sunlight during sunset; but I think it's better not to count it, as it only shines in at late hours and very steep angle.

Bookmark   April 25, 2011 at 8:23AM
taz6122(N.W. AR.6b)

Yes you need lights. There's not enough light shining through a northern window unless you're in south America or below the equator.

Bookmark   April 25, 2011 at 1:20PM
More Discussions
Cost-Efficient Lighting
Does anyone know what the most cost-efficient lighting...
Tigger033
More beautiful plumeria blossoms under grow lights
More proof that grow lights work! I planted this plumeria...
arctictropical
Pepper Leaf Problem
I am new to the forum, but have a question about a...
kswart19
Need help Drip watering Basil inside
So i have a little closet grow room setup with lights,...
Riskebiz
germinating and lighting
I am about to start some hot pepper seeds I ordered...
mikwya
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™