Purple podded beans

ashita(10a)June 18, 2013

Hi. Do you know, are there any purple podded beans that stay purple when you cook the pods? Might be frivolous, but they would look so good on a plate!

Ashita

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mandolls(4)

Nope - I think they all lose the color when cooked. If you just blanch them quick they will keep most of it.

Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 7:50AM
zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin

Ditto. Common beans with purple pods will turn green when cooked.

However, yardlong beans with purple or "red" pods (such as "Chinese Red Noodle") will retain most of their color after cooking. They will turn grayish, but a splash of vinegar will restore much of their burgundy color. I like them as a colorful side dish, but the flavor is different from regular snap beans.

Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 8:29AM
ashita(10a)

Life is full of excitement and revelations for a newbie! I learned today from observation that purple-podded beans are green when they first develop, and THEN go purple later. At least, my Amethyst dwarf beans do. Whatever's next ??!!

Ashita

Bookmark   June 21, 2013 at 10:58PM
emmers_m(9a/Sunset 7 N Cal)

I've been feeding SomeOne beans from my garden (including purple ones) for a few years now. Yesterday I brought him in a few young beans and handed them off to him while I shelled myself a big bowl of peas.

'Why are they black?' he asks.

'they are purple' I respond, 'and they'll turn green when they're cooked, unfortunately.' (As I also think it would be interesting to have some that stay purple.)

'That's amazing!' he exclaims. 'It's like alchemy!' and he proceeds to watch these beans steam with an eagle eye, providing commentary all the while.

sigh

~emmers

Bookmark   June 28, 2013 at 8:50AM
ashita(10a)

Now I am wondering if I have left mine unpicked too long, as they seem to be turning greenish on the vine :- (

Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 9:51AM
catherinet(5 IN)

I grew some purple pole beans awhile back (can't remember the name).......but I was totally bummed when they turned green when I cooked them. What a rip off! hahaha

Bookmark   July 5, 2013 at 9:43AM
hementia8(8 MS)

Martha Stewart stated in this mornings show,that a breeder would make a fortune if he could breed one that stayed purple after blanching
She was creating some type of bean salad with a french name

Bookmark   July 6, 2013 at 4:09PM
cindy_ga

And tho the question wasn't asked, this answer is related. I have purple podded beans and my husband asked if they would stay purple if I fermented them in brine instead of cooking them. And the answer is....

they turn green in the lacto-ferment too. It was a nice idea...

Cindy

Bookmark   July 8, 2013 at 3:24PM
zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin

I wonder if dehydrating would set the color? An experiment to try this year... and whether the dehydrated beans would be palatable when re-hydrated.

Bookmark   July 9, 2013 at 12:52AM
tormato

My question is...

Is ANYTHING palatable after being dehydrated and then re-hydrated?

Bookmark   July 9, 2013 at 2:54PM
cindy_ga

Yes! Mushrooms are fabulous! Tomatoes, onions... And I hope to answer this better next winter!

Bookmark   July 10, 2013 at 2:00PM
donna_in_sask

I actually like the taste and texture of regular green beans more; the only advantage of the purple podded ones is that they are more visible when picking.

Bookmark   July 11, 2013 at 3:04PM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

Talking about purple podded beans , I have sowed some . Today I noticed they are poking out. AND they are starting as purple !! Amazing. Will the bushes/leaves/stems will be purple also ?

Bookmark   July 13, 2013 at 2:50AM
More Discussions
Canning crowder peas VS Freezing, my take on the subject
Last year I decided to can some of my Hercules crowder...
wertach zone 7-B SC
Catjang/Brow Bean
I saw an interesting Vigna offered on eBay the other...
nightbloomincereus 7A noVA
Jeminez
I just received some Jeminez seeds from Sand Hill....
shuffles_gw
Genetics of Phaseolus lunatus
I really enjoy some of the colorful pole limas, but...
theodosiaunderwood
The Mayocoba Bean story
Have you heard of the controversy that evidently went...
RuthieG__TX
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™