How do I make pole beans climb?

macheske(6/7 NorthernVA)June 5, 2008

This is my first year planting pole beans. I have 160' of fortex, rattlesnake, and kentucky wonder. They are planted adjacent to field fence which I am using for a trellis, about 1' from the planting site. How do I get them to climb up the field fence? With cucumbers, it's easy. I just move the plant to the fence and they climb. With the pole beans, they are sending up runners but they seem a little brittle to pull to the fence. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Rick

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
belindach(9A)

When they get tall enough they will fall toward the fence and start wrapping themselves around anything they can find including each other. Be patient.

Bookmark   June 5, 2008 at 10:52AM
tcstoehr

I usually give them a 'clue' where the fence is by just pushing the vines over to the trellis and gently hooking the vines on the trellis. Belinda is right, be patient. They can grow plenty tall before they need support. Once the vine has contact with the trellis, it wastes no time in wrapping around it. Always in a counter-clockwise direction viewed top-down.

Bookmark   June 5, 2008 at 2:15PM
galina

Always in a counter-clockwise direction viewed top-down (snip)?

In Britain and other European countries they do the opposite: counter-clockwise when viewed from the base of the plant, ie the beans meet their support and start curling right and up. When viewed from top down, it appears as clockwise rotation.

Both runnerbeans and ordinary 'French' beans rotate in the same direction in Britain/Europe, although some gardening books state the opposite. It is helpful to observe how beans climb so that plants can be gently pulled towards a support and twisted around it in the right way. Provided the beans were long enough in the first place, they will stay and soon cling to their support tightly once they have been helped to climb in this way.

Bookmark   June 6, 2008 at 2:41AM
shebear(z8 NCentralTex)

I've always noticed that climbing plants seem to sense tall items around them and instinctively grow towards them. Sometimes there's a rebel but it can usually be gently guided in the correct direction.

Bookmark   June 9, 2008 at 8:20AM
catherinet(5 IN)

Sometimes mine twine around each other, but they eventually find the taller thing to start climbing up.
Sometimes, if its a smaller area of plants, I put a piece of string gently across them so that they lean more towards the fencing I want them to climb.

Bookmark   June 9, 2008 at 10:22AM
macheske(6/7 NorthernVA)

Catherinet,
Now that sounds like a good idea. I think I'll try that.
Thanks,
Rick

Bookmark   June 9, 2008 at 2:23PM
susaneden(5)

... Speaking of rebels, I have an Emerite bean that was "supposed" to grow up a column in the bean cage that is conveniently right in front of the plant. It chose, instead, to wrap around the olumn of it's neighbor's instead, about 6 inches away.

:D as long as it's climbing, I will leave it be.

Bookmark   June 10, 2008 at 3:59PM
More Discussions
Bush hyacinth bean
One of the joys of garden forums is being able to trade...
zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
Stringless pole bean?
Hello, I would like to find a good pole bean that has...
cowabunga1
Interesting threads...
Searching for past posts isn't that easy, at least...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
Insuk's Wang Kong (red scarlet runners) part 2
I am the one that wrote the last post, so I am starting...
cabrita
Japanese Sword Beans
Anyone grow these. Kitizawa seed company offers them....
denninmi
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™