Non-rusting concrete mesh for trellis?

emcd124(5)June 1, 2012

I've read several posts about people using concrete mesh material as trellis support for beans and cukes and I'm totally into the idea. From pictures posted, I've seen people using it where it looks very nice and not terribly worn. I went to our local Lowe's to buy some, and the roll that they had to sell from in the store was already so rusty everywhere that it looked more orange than grey metal.

What the heck? Is there some special coated concrete mesh material that everyone else is using? I'm not wild about the idea of that ugly rusting hulk dominating my garden, and I fear that if it fares so poorly in the temp control of the store, how much worse outside in the sun and rain of a garden?

Where did you get yours? Is yours a special kind?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wertach zone 7-B SC

The rust is no big deal unless you are real picky. It will last for many years. I have some CRW tomato cages that are 10 years old and still in perfect shape.

You can buy galvanized cattle wire at Tractor Supply if you want non rusting. It's more expensive and usually hard to find any with the holes big enough to reach through to pick your veggies.

Bookmark   June 1, 2012 at 1:39PM
wertach zone 7-B SC

This link might interest you from Mother Earth News.

Here is a link that might be useful: M.E.N. wire mesh

Bookmark   June 1, 2012 at 2:34PM
zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin

Funny as it might sound, I prefer the CRW mesh because it rusts. The rust provides a rough surface for the plants to cling to, and weathers to a dark brown / near black if left outdoors. The mesh is very durable in spite of the rust. I've actually had more problems with my galvanized wire fencing breaking off at the welds than I have had with CRW... I've got CRW tomato cages that are over 15 years old.

Bookmark   June 3, 2012 at 12:41AM
defrost49

I love my mesh panels that we use for sugar snap peas and other vining vegetables. It's the perfect height although one year my sugar snaps got over 6' tall. I plant about a 4" wide row so some of the outer plants don't get a good grab on the mesh. We add some twine to keep the plants from falling away from the mesh.

The tomato cages made from a more flexible mesh are probably 30 years old.

I don't notice the rust. The panels are held in place with steel posts and zip ties. They stay out all winter and we enjoy watching the birds sit on the fencing waiting for tasty insects to come by.

Bookmark   June 11, 2012 at 7:54AM
More Discussions
Black spots on my string beans
For the past 3 years my beans will look beautiful and...
smokey28777
Margaret Best Greasy Cut Short
These took 66 days to the first picking. I planted...
shuffles_gw
Bush hyacinth bean
One of the joys of garden forums is being able to trade...
zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
Jeminez
I just received some Jeminez seeds from Sand Hill....
shuffles_gw
2015 Growing season
I've just been going through my stash making a list...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™