Rattlesnake pole beans yellowing

catherinet(5 IN)June 14, 2013

This is my first time to grow Rattlesnake pole beans. They are right next to my other trellises that are growing Blue Lake and Kentucky Blue pole beans. The latter 2 are a normal green, but the Rattlesnake leaves are getting alot lighter in color.....towards yellow. Is this maybe just the color of the Rattlesnake leaves, or do I have a problem of some sort?
Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cindy_ga

They are lighter in general - at least mine are. My rattlesnakes are getting some yellow leaves about 6" to 1 foot above ground and yet are in beautiful condition. They have beans on them - the first to be picked as snaps mid-next week. The vines are about 7 feet tall now. The leaves at the top are a brighter green. I think I remember the same pattern from last year. They have always been excellent producers for me.

Bookmark   June 14, 2013 at 11:31PM
catherinet(5 IN)

Thanks cindy. You're a bit ahead of me weather-wise. I hope mine do as well as yours. Thanks again.

Bookmark   June 15, 2013 at 1:36PM
donna_in_sask

I grew them for the first time last year and they were a normal green. I would be concerned if they are turning more towards yellow. What's the drainage like for these beans? Maybe a shot of fertilizer is in order.

Bookmark   June 15, 2013 at 3:26PM
catherinet(5 IN)

We have had too much rain lately. Even though they've never been in standing water, I'm wondering if its just been too much for them? I gave them some good compost when I planted them. Maybe I'll give them another hit. :)
Thanks Donna.

Bookmark   June 15, 2013 at 3:37PM
cindy_ga

You're welcome Catherine! We had a bit more rain than normal this spring (then again what IS normal anymore?) and I think that can contribute to the color. Hope you enjoy them as much as I have! I planted a second trellis of them this past week to grow for shellies late in the season. They are really good!

Bookmark   June 15, 2013 at 10:45PM
More Discussions
black gandules
Hi, does anyone know where I can find black gandules?...
ily68
Insuk's Wang Kong (red scarlet runners) part 2
I am the one that wrote the last post, so I am starting...
cabrita
Stringless pole bean?
Hello, I would like to find a good pole bean that has...
cowabunga1
Bush hyacinth bean
One of the joys of garden forums is being able to trade...
zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
Brown bunch beans---info....please.
My 3 rows of KY Wonder bush bean played their best...
utdeedee
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™