How deep to plant Stargazer lily bulbs?

belindaingaMay 1, 2006

Hi,

I ordered 10 Stargazer lily bulbs, and they arrived today...but I'm uncertain of how deep to plant them. I did a search, and came up with varying answers, as I expected! I thought I'd ask the lily enthusiasts here, and hopefully I can be set on the right path to planting my new lilies! :-)

Thanks so much,

Belinda

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tjsangel(z5 OH)

Hi Belinda,

Lily bulbs are large, meaning they need to be planted deep, about 6-8 inches. The length of your hand is one way to tell how deep to plant these : ) BTW, I love these lilies! They are so beautiful & fragrant.

Jen

Bookmark   May 1, 2006 at 7:06PM
belindainga

Thanks, so much, Jen! That is a big help...I wanted to plant them last evening, but I was paranoid that I would plant them incorrectly. I appreciate you pointing me in the right direction...now I can get them on their way! :-) I can't wait to see them bloom, if they bloom, of course! lol

Thank you again...

...Belinda

Bookmark   May 2, 2006 at 9:34AM
hld6(z7 MD)

Hi Belinda,
With only a few exceptions, (Candidum for instance), Lilies are stem rooting plants and benefit from being planted deep, 8" - 10". Other exceptions are species lilies that have small bulbs like pumilum and cernuum.

Also, since lily bulbs are tasty, planting deep keeps the squirrels from getting them in the winter. A deep insulating layer of soil also helps moderate wide temperature swings in late winter that can fool bulbs into sprouting early.

If you've already planted them don't worry, the stem rooting is beneficial, but 2" doesn't make a big difference. Just mulch them well in the Fall.

-Helen

Bookmark   May 2, 2006 at 7:31PM
linnea56(z5 IL)

I asked my DH to transplant some for me (my carpal tunnel was acting up) and just noticed a couple were planted too shallowly! This was done a week or more ago. Do I need to replant these? Or is it too late now? I had planted them in a holding bed last fall because I bought the bulbs then couldn't get into the dense garden jungle to plant them. These are Orientals, which I have not grown before.

Bookmark   May 3, 2006 at 1:06PM
hld6(z7 MD)

Hi Linnea56

Since they were transplanted only a couple weeks ago they haven't had much time to establish so I'd go ahead and move them now.

Just be careful when digging to not break off the stem that may be beginning to emerge from the bulb underground and try to disturb the roots as little as possible. The soil should still be pretty soft around them so it shouldn't be too difficult to dig them up gently.

But honestly, one of the great things about lilies is that they're not "fussy" plants. If you'd prefer to set them deeper in the Fall, (assuming a new "jungle" hasn't grown up by then), they would grow fine this season. Deeper is just more ideal.

-Helen

Bookmark   May 3, 2006 at 2:35PM
shic_2006(4a 5a)

Are Stargazers different from Orientals?

Bookmark   May 5, 2006 at 11:16AM
hld6(z7 MD)

Stargazers are one type of Oriental Lily. While it is the most popular, there are many others.

-Helen

Bookmark   May 7, 2006 at 9:15PM
peternyc

Helen,
Thanks so much for answering my question - my apologies for the delay in thanking you.
I will wait until the leaves and stems have died back, early fall, as you say; better to have them for years to come than ruin them now.
This is a wonderful forum. Thank you again!
Sincerely,
Peter
NYC

Bookmark   June 20, 2006 at 4:03PM
mano

I just purchased 14 Stargazer lily bulbs. Is it OK to plant them now, or do I need to wait until spring?

Thanks,
Mano
Virginia

Bookmark   February 23, 2008 at 8:34PM
alina_1

Mano,
Plant them ASAP. Lilies do not go dormant like other bulbs. They will be weaker if you will store them. We will have pretty decent frost free weather next week here in Mid-Atlantic area, so the soil will be workable. Provide them with excellent drainage. Good luck!

Bookmark   February 24, 2008 at 12:21PM
mano

Alina,

Thanks, I read your note and went outside immediately and planted them. The weather today is overcast and 50 degrees, so it was perfect to dig a few holes.

I'll report back when they bloom. Thanks again for the advice.

Mano

Bookmark   February 24, 2008 at 4:56PM
alina_1

You're welcome! I hope you chose a sunny spot for them. Watch for slugs when your Lilies will start to sprout.

Alina.

Bookmark   February 24, 2008 at 11:01PM
mano

I don't have a great deal of sun in my yard. I'm on 3 acres, but in the woods; however, I planted them where I get the most sun. Some that I planted a couple of years ago did very well last year just a few feet away, so I hope it will be OK.

Mano

Bookmark   February 25, 2008 at 11:59PM
More Discussions
Take that voles/mice !
My lilies were looking beautiful & increasing for...
pandora
Foxtail lily; companions?
Hello! I want to plant foxtail lilies. I know they...
mushibu10
hostaholic2 z 4, MN
What the heck happened to my hybrid lilies
I brought this pot of lilies at home depot and it was...
tlbean2004
Please identity my Lily
I have attached a picture of a Lily type plant that...
Terrispirit
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™