What should I buy?

daisyd681April 5, 2008

I'm looking to grow one or two dwarf tomatoes on my kitchen counter. My idea is to set up a selfwatering planter with a basic swingarm lamp attached to the wall. I have a space with no upper cabinets that I think will work. There is quite a bit of indirect light in the room with five windows and two skylights in about a 300 sq ft room. There are several different "plant" lights at my local Home Depot ranging from $5 to $20. My question is what's the lowest I can get away with? The electric company just sent a notice that the rates are going up, so I don't want to make that a lot worse. I don't have a clue as to what to look for. Any info would be great.

TIA

Meira

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lermer

Any "plant light" that goes for $5 to $20 is almost certainly a worthless scam. In that price range, you're better off with a two-tube 4' shoplight. This has an effective range of a few inches.

Bookmark   April 5, 2008 at 1:49PM
daisyd681

What about a 100 watt compact flourecsent?

Bookmark   April 5, 2008 at 3:03PM
allisonlwise(5)

I bought some 48 inch florescent "plant" lights at Walmart. They have worked just fine, although I only bought them because they were out of the cheaper regular shoplights I think they were about $5 each.

Make sure you read the label. I accidently bought a plant light and got home only to find out it was just to make my plants appear greener, not help them grow.

I got a hanging shop light at Walmart for $8. It's quite small and doesn't take up much space. If you bought a 2-pack of lights, it would probably be under $11 total for the whole set up. I've had good success with 40 watt lights.

Allison

Bookmark   April 6, 2008 at 8:49AM
daisyd681

Upon closer inspection the "plant" lights were just flood lights with blue lenses. I got cfls that are 1600 lumen, 2700k. I'm hoping that with all of the indirect light in the room one will be enough. When they start to flour I can put another up.
Will that kelvin work?
On a side note I will be changing every bulb in the house to cfls. I didn't realise they were that efficient.

Bookmark   April 6, 2008 at 2:23PM
lermer

"What about a 100 watt compact flourecsent?"

The light is concentrated, but is more difficult
to reflect than a point or line source.

Bookmark   April 7, 2008 at 4:41PM
More Discussions
6" Inch Titan Inline Fan 440 CFM Industrial Grade
The 6" Inch Titan Inline Fan 440 CFM Industrial...
Dane Theisen
ebay LED growlight fixture for houseplants?
I was on ebay saw all the good deals on the awesome...
jay83
what do you use under heat mats
I have some large heat mats that I use under lights....
dowlinggram
Seeking advice about current indoor seed starting setup
Hello, I am new to gardening and would like to start...
dotagardener
Which is better; 1300 lumen LED or 1300 lumen CFL?
I was wondering if there is a difference between LED...
dxniel
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™