To Toad Lillies I am death, not a gardener

meanderingfroggMay 16, 2006

I failed last year with Toad Lillies and apparently like hating myself so I thought I would try again this year. Sure enough these guys are dying again. I don't know what I am doing wrong, I'm following all the requirements for the tricyrtis formosana. I need help and I would be uber greatful!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
meanderingfrogg

I used my unholy powers of deduction to figure out it was a squirrel using the lillies as lunch. I will walk you all through my sherlock holmes deducting process. First thing this morning (11:30AM) I went outside to survey my Eden (2 hostas and a toad lily). Much to my surprise a horrific beast (one fuzzy wuzzy squirrel) was plucking the toad lily's leaves from it violently. I drew my breath and charged the beast (I froze and watched). The beast fled in terror(The squirrel ate casually and frolicked off).
My next question is will a drinking glass keep my lilly safe?

Bookmark   May 17, 2006 at 12:44PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chemguynj(z6 NJ)

Hi,
At Home Depot there is a deer spray that may work. It's basically hot pepper, eggs, and garlic. If you search the web there are homemade recipes. I myself make my own mix which I spray on the plant. If the squirrel is eating your flowers, he'll get a spicy surprise. It's humane and it works for me. Last year was my first year for toad lilies. Very cool.

Bookmark   May 17, 2006 at 8:25PM
More Discussions
I'm sensitive to lily smell- has anyone heard of this before?
I don't mean to judge or critisize anyone for their...
hjihji
What the heck happened to my hybrid lilies
I brought this pot of lilies at home depot and it was...
tlbean2004
Toad Lily
In five years, this is the first flower my toad lily...
TNY78
id for pink crinum
I am looking for the botanical name for the pink crinum...
linda_leaf z10fla
Foxtail lily; companions?
Hello! I want to plant foxtail lilies. I know they...
mushibu10
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™