Help picking 1000W HID system

maple_grove_gwApril 1, 2013

Hi folks,

I'm considering getting a 1000W system, and would like to ask for help picking out the best system. Currently I have a 400W light, and I need another, more powerful HID. It will hang a few feet above a poly humidiy chamber in my basement used for winter grafting of conifers.

I've got my eye on the Sunleaves Simple Two-Way Ballast (1000W) ($117)and the Sunleaves Arctic Sun 6" Plug N Play reflector ($74). Optilume bulb for $35, and probably need a connector cord ($10) and a light hanger for $30 brings the total price to ~$265.

My questions for you folks are, how would you rate these items, and can you suggest better alternatives? I want a quality system that will last for years (well, the system, not the bulb), and need to keep the price down as much as I can.

Thanks!

This post was edited by maple_grove on Thu, Apr 11, 13 at 9:40

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
overdrive

Quality that lasts for years = two choices: Venture 575W pulse start metal halide, you will need to contact Jeff at businesslights.com for the ballast and lamps. I use them, go on the Venture site. 575W pulse start halide is equivalent to 2x400 W conventional probe halide, and is better than 1000W conventional halide. The other best choice = contact Jeff for the Phantom 600W digital ballast and run reflectorized HPS from HTG supply. This is a fantastic lamp. 1000W Halide is old school, and obsolete.
P.S. I am recommending exactly what I have in my own basement, I have a PAR meter, and this is after I did all the research, like yourself. I had to find these things out on my own, via the internet. :)

Bookmark   April 4, 2013 at 2:39PM
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC(Zone 4b-5 SE BC Canada)

Not trying to hijack the thread but has anyone found a site for well priced PAR meters? I'd like to verify why my plants lean toward one type of bulb, can't trust everything you find on the internet LOL.

Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 1:23AM
overdrive

PAR for a cheap one will be 300$ plus. i have one, but then i make pretty good money.

Bookmark   April 7, 2013 at 9:09AM
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC(Zone 4b-5 SE BC Canada)

Thanks, I was hoping they have come down a bit more. I want to validate my findings with numbers...maybe next year.

Bookmark   April 7, 2013 at 10:40PM
maple_grove_gw

Thanks, OD. Looks like an interesting and powerful lamp, and I saw your other thread on this as well.

Now, I'm something of a novice at these lights and was considering a "Plug & Play" type solution for its simplicity, but I'm always open to new things. I looked up the Venture ballast and it to me it looks like a box with a wire sticking out. So my question to you is, what else would I need to get, in addition to the MH ballast. Obviously the bulb and reflector, but what other cords or parts? And how do they link up?

Thanks so much!

Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 4:18PM
overdrive

Hi, U need a case to mount it in - this usually costs about 30$, you need line cord with a plug to plug into the wall, and you need more cable to run from the ballast to the lampholder - I use 600V rated wire for this, 3 conductor. For the 575W ballast, unfortunately you also need a remote ignitor, which costs almost 60$, so by this point you might be unhappy about the cost of it all. - you can pm me if you like at ptmozarowski at hot mail dot com -
it will not work without the remote ignitor, because of the length of the cable. - pm.

Bookmark   April 10, 2013 at 10:36AM
More Discussions
Cost-Efficient Lighting
Does anyone know what the most cost-efficient lighting...
Tigger033
germinating and lighting
I am about to start some hot pepper seeds I ordered...
mikwya
HELP!..Possible Indoor Pepper growing probz!
I have a few questions regarding my pepper plants at...
Bobby Cooper
Bell peppers
My flowers fall off before fruit developes. Any suggestions?...
AliMatt
heat mats and growing plants
Is there a reason must you move plants off of the heat...
dowlinggram
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™