Those irritating Emerites

susaneden(5)June 29, 2008

I have Emerite pole beans (some of you might remember the "fun" I had getting these guys to germinate this spring).

I now have a decent number of them, flowering and some with tiny fruit, BUT.....

of the 8 plants on one cage, 3 are climbing the cage. The rest are climbing DOWN and forming a tangled mass at the base of the cage. They insist on doing this, no matter how many times I patiently unwind them and wind them up the cage.

Anyone else ever have trouble with the way this particular variety climbs? It is a new variety for me.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jwr6404(8B Wa)

Susan
Maybe they're trying to hide from all them slugs you have in NY

Bookmark   June 29, 2008 at 10:05AM
susaneden(5)

LOL!!!!!

Probably true! Got a lot of them, though!

Bookmark   June 29, 2008 at 10:59AM
zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin

Many pole beans dislike climbing artificial supports... although I can't say if "Emerite" is one of them (yardlongs are the most finicky). Galvanized steel seems to be especially troublesome, so if the cages are galvanized, that may be the problem. When I grew "Emerite", I used string. As I recall, it was not a very strong climber.

I occasionally use weathered steel (such as rusted construction mesh) for pole beans; and the Seed Savers Exchange uses it almost exclusively for theirs, with great results. But I prefer using natural twine for vertical supports, since it seems to be universally acceptable to anything which climbs.

Bookmark   June 29, 2008 at 5:27PM
susaneden(5)

Thanks Zeedman--I will try that with these #%^& beans next year, and use the cage for something less picky, like trombetta zukes or something.....

The ones that are climbing are climbing well, but not well enough to use cage space for them. I dislike using twine for climbers, because mine tends to rot/break before the beans are done with it (had that problem last year--hence the cages).

I might try to get my hands on soe CRW and leave it out all winter (should weather fine in the Buffalo snow belt lol).

Bookmark   June 30, 2008 at 1:14AM
tormato

susaneden,

My Emerites are up to about 8 feet on ROUGH wooden poles. They climb fine on something they can grip.

Next time you're out by your Emerites, touch near the tip of the vines. You'll see how "sticky" they are.

CRW may be OK. The rougher, the better.

Gary

Bookmark   July 1, 2008 at 1:40PM
susaneden(5)

Thanks Gary!

The ones that are vlimbing are doing it beautifully--I just need to be patient with the others :D

Bookmark   July 1, 2008 at 2:08PM
More Discussions
Japanese Sword Beans
Anyone grow these. Kitizawa seed company offers them....
denninmi
Bush hyacinth bean
One of the joys of garden forums is being able to trade...
zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
Margaret Best Greasy Cut Short
These took 66 days to the first picking. I planted...
shuffles_gw
black gandules
Hi, does anyone know where I can find black gandules?...
ily68
Canning crowder peas VS Freezing, my take on the subject
Last year I decided to can some of my Hercules crowder...
wertach zone 7-B SC
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™