First Fortex harvest

anney(Georgia 8)June 7, 2010

Oh, yum!

Two pounds of Fortex pole beans, one for the neighbors and one for us. These were produced by a double 8-foot row of seeds. I left as many small ones as the number I picked.

We'll also have some zucchini tonight from our HUGE Caserta squash plant, a zucchini that I planted as a trap crop for cucumber beetles. It's also very attractive to squash bugs, which I dispatch when I can catch them, but both insects are ignoring the patty pan squash planted a month later, which was my intention!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada

Yum is right, we're a long way from eating fresh beans here. Some of mine are just starting to climb their netting, others just have their first true leaves, the rice beans are flowering but no beans forming yet. Had to replace my cucumber plants yesterday some little %$#$% ate them during the night. I see we have the same kneeling stool I've had mine for years, mine is pretty beat up but it still does the job. This spring has been very wet and cool, the slugs and snails are loving it.

Annette

Bookmark   June 7, 2010 at 11:06AM
anney(Georgia 8)

Annette

That kneeling stool was bright pink when I bought it and has weathered to a pristine white!

Yes, I can imagine you aren't digging into the beans yet so far north of us, and I felt bad because denninmi posted at the same time about not even having planted beans yet. But it sounds like your beans are doing what beans do and you'll have some in 3-4 weeks.

I've been very nervous about my two cucumber plants, hoping no critter will find them delicious.

We saw deer tracks last week out in the field beyond the raised beds, so it's time to set up my Scarecrow motion-activated sprinkler as soon as I get the battery later today. The link gives an excellent demo of how they work. I'm not going to put the decals on the sprinkler since they apparently scare small birds.

Bookmark   June 7, 2010 at 11:37AM
gardengolfer

My Fortex beans are now coming in also. This is my first time for Fortex and I could not be more pleased with how prolific they are compared with my Kentucky Wonders which seem to be running several weeks behind. The Fortex beans are very firm and flavorable and will probably be my first choice again next season.

Larry

Bookmark   June 10, 2010 at 10:41AM
gardenall(8)

I love them too. This is my first year to try them as well. I like not having strings on the beans. (HAVE ANYONE TRIED SAVING SEEDS TO PLANT FOR FOLLOWING YEAR?)

Bookmark   June 17, 2010 at 8:41PM
fusion_power

gardenall, educate yourself about inbreeder crops. Fortex beans are natural inbreeders. They are maintained by..... saving seed every year.

let the beans mature until the pods turn a yellowish color and the seed are full and plump. Harvest enough pods for the amount of seed you want and promptly shell them and lay them on a tray in a thin layer so they can dry. After 3 or 4 weeks, they should be dry enough to put in a ziploc bag and drop into the freezer.

DarJones

Bookmark   June 17, 2010 at 9:04PM
guavalane

Yummy! Thank you all for introducing Fortex to me - it is by far the most delicious. I planted them late and only along an 18" metal arch. But it is producing a lot - enough for the 2 of us 3 times a week.

Bookmark   July 6, 2010 at 2:06AM
josieoh-05

This is my first year with Fortex beans, I will be able to start picking in a day or two. I was wondering what is your favorite way of cooking? Always on the lookout for new ideals. Looking forward to tasting them.
Josieoh-05

Bookmark   July 7, 2010 at 10:12AM
More Discussions
Catjang/Brow Bean
I saw an interesting Vigna offered on eBay the other...
nightbloomincereus 7A noVA
Interesting threads...
Searching for past posts isn't that easy, at least...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
Stringless pole bean?
Hello, I would like to find a good pole bean that has...
cowabunga1
Brown bunch beans---info....please.
My 3 rows of KY Wonder bush bean played their best...
utdeedee
Algarve vs Helda vs Smeraldo
This year I am comparing Algarve, Helda and Smeraldo...
shuffles_gw
Sponsored Products
Faretto Double Pendant by Slamp
$1,384.00 | Lumens
Red Small French Press Coffee Maker
$16.99 | zulily
Design Toscano Taking Flight Fairy Sculpture - CL2574
$62.90 | Hayneedle
Lippa 47" Dining Table in Walnut
$509.00 | LexMod
Stickbulb | 2 Foot Horizontal Wall Sconce
$795.00 | YLighting
Heracleum II Small LED Chandelier by Moooi
$2,649.00 | Lumens
Indoor Fan and Light Kit: Yosemite Home Decor Maui Breeze Collection 56 in. Indo
Home Depot
Tufted Hammock Pillow, Patio Furniture
$79.99 | FRONTGATE
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™