Help planting new dwarf Iris

under2manyjeepsAugust 25, 2013

I got some new dwarf re-blooming iris and wanted to plant them on a small strip between a concrete driveway (about 1 foot wide) and fence. I know the iris need good drainage, so I was going to dig out 8-12 inches of clay soil and place some extra crush and run gravel. Then fill the rest with a sandy compost soil mix to raise the strip up 2-4". The instructions say the to plant the rhizomes so that 1/2 - 1/3 is exposed. Hopefully this will provide adequate drainage but wondered if the crush and run gravel was a bad idea...not sure what this would do to the PH. Any suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wally_1936(8b)

I know they do love sandy soil, they always did great when I lived in Colorado. From what I saw they only need to be able to root so even 2/3rd's above the ground always worked in Colorado.

Bookmark   August 31, 2013 at 11:50AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
under2manyjeeps

Thank you for the reply. That will make things a little easier. After actually digging it out I realized my proportions were way optimistic. Also, Ive been watching how it drains or actually doesnt drain that well so I think raising the bed ( hopefully 4") and planting the iris 2/3s is a better option. Thanks again.

Bookmark   September 2, 2013 at 12:28PM
More Discussions
Herbicide recommendation for iris bed
Hello, I am usually solely a contributor in the vegetable...
hokiehorticulture
Transplant and blooming
Hello to you all! I might as well preface this by saying...
ZachS. z5 Littleton, CO
Consequences of transplanting in winter/early spring, zone 5
Hello, I have a question about transplanting irises....
kmburton
WANTED: Want any iris , daffodils tulips or lilies
If you are dividing your iris beds and have extra irises...
josephlee
Over wintering bearded Iris plants and Dutch Iris bulbs
I have recently purchased about 14 bearded Iris plants...
keegans31
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™