Need reply fast!!!

johnsaunt(7)May 25, 2006

I'm trying to plant some Oriental lily bulbs I got today and it's gettng dark so I hope I can get a fast reply. Two of the bulbs have mildew on some of the scales. Just in one or two places on each. Should I plant them as is? Should I remove the mildewed scale? Scrape the mildew off? Help!

Ginny

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hld6(z7 MD)

Ginny,
I've never had mildewed bulbs, but I know bulbs can lose a few scales without ill effects. So if you decide to pull them off that would be OK.

More importantly, is the basal plate firm? The basal plate is where the scales attach at the bottom of the bulb, and where the roots grow from. Lilies can suffer from basal rot.

-Helen

Does anyone know if bulbs can safely be soaked in dilute bleach solutions? (That would kill the mildew - and is used with lily seeds - but I'd want to be sure it didn't harm the bulb before I tried it.)

Bookmark   May 26, 2006 at 5:16PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
botanybabe

Sometimes the anti-fungal powder that the nursery puts on the bulbs looks like mildew.

If your bulbs actually have mildew, it should not significantly hurt them unless, as Helen says, the basal plate is affected. Even then, lilies are survivors.

I've planted several lilies that were slightly mildewed with no ill effects. It doesn't hurt to take a chance, your only other alternative is to not plant them, and have no chance for lilies at all. Given that option, I'll plant every time.

Lainey

Bookmark   May 27, 2006 at 4:20PM
More Discussions
Red Lily Leaf Beetle Sited
11:15 am in Malden, Ma ( just outside Boston) Came...
MichaelB_MAz6
strange baby foliage
Rosidah
Toad Lily
In five years, this is the first flower my toad lily...
TNY78
Please help me grow this Lily plant?
I have had this Lily for a long while. Very rarely...
Fathim_Zazu
got my first peace lilly...
On the sale rack at a big box store. Ive looked around...
jameya
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™