Just keep it simple...

stinkbone(8a)April 27, 2008

I'm going to Lowes, and I don't want to spend a ton or rewire anything. Without having to read through another physics lesson, what is the best bang for the buck for a smallish 3x3 area with 110 outlet available at a box store? I want to grow a variety of things. Just a simple answer like "get a 4 lamp T(whatevers) with x brand bulbs" please.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ontheteam(5a-6 (S.Eastern, MA))

Look, I took some plastic shelves I had around: DH brought 8 o the walmart "grow lights" and wired them 2 to a shelf, it's wrapped with the camping survival blankets for 2 bucks each 3 blankets and has one big fan pointed at it all to keep the air moving.

To get stuff closer to the lights DH found a place w/ junk pallets and cut them to fit the shelf. some have more lifts than others.
And if they need to be higher still I find "junk' card board plastic bins around the house and jack it up more.

The Tomatoes,basil,coleus,ornamental grass,lavender,dasiys,lupines,delphiniums,and sun flowers and zinnia are all doing nicely. They larkspur was doing well...until it fell...boo hoo
The Sunflowers will be planted out on Sat.and I have a few ore things I am going to start.
I'll post a pic if you want.

Bookmark   April 29, 2008 at 5:04PM
ontheteam(5a-6 (S.Eastern, MA))

there is a link to my photo albums..the plants ones shows my rig...

http://picasaweb.google.com/ontheteam

Bookmark   May 1, 2008 at 8:49AM
tflinton

Get four T8 32 Watt shoplight fixtures and eight cool white philips bulbs (T8 32 Watt bulbs). That can cover a 3x3 foot area. Just remember to keep the lights as close to the plants as possible.

Bookmark   May 1, 2008 at 10:44AM
More Discussions
Having problems with seedlings this year
I have been starting seeds under lights for about 10...
wendeyzee
Seeking advice about current indoor seed starting setup
Hello, I am new to gardening and would like to start...
dotagardener
6" Inch Titan Inline Fan 440 CFM Industrial Grade
The 6" Inch Titan Inline Fan 440 CFM Industrial...
Dane Theisen
Browning and drying avocado leaves
I've been growing two avocado plants for about 10 months...
leuconoe
New to Forum - some questions, comments about heating mats
I have been starting flower seeds indoors for years...
snapdrag
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™