Edamame

brian6464(4a)June 11, 2014

I planted two rows of Edamame 2 weeks ago and none of the seed has come up while almost all my other been seeds are up. Anyone know if this is normal or maybe the seeds were just bad?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
farmerdill

Have not had any problems with soybean germination including edamame. They may take a few days longer than a common bean when conditions are good. They don't like cold wet soil and need higher temps than common beans, so typically they are planted several weeks later than the first planting of common beans. Bad seed may be a possibility, but I would suspect soil conditions first.

Bookmark   June 11, 2014 at 4:01PM
zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin

Ditto on Farmerdill's comments... while bad seed is possible, soil conditions are the most likely culprit. I put in several soybeans this year just before drenching day-long rains, and germination has been poor. Those in the lowest, wettest spot rotted.

Two weeks is a bit long, but cool conditions can delay germination. If you are Zone 4a, I'm guessing that you might have experienced some of the same heavy rainfall which hit central Wisconsin. You could try (gently) digging up a few seeds to see what's going on; if they are dead, it is not too late to replant soybeans for edamame.

Bookmark   June 12, 2014 at 4:53PM
yolos - z 7b/8a Ga.

On 4/26, I planted some Disoy soybean and not a single seed germinated. Right next to the Disoy I planted the Edamame - Butterbean and got almost 100% germination. So in my case I believe it was bad seed or the Disoy needs warmer soil than the Edamame.

Bookmark   June 12, 2014 at 8:46PM
More Discussions
My first full beans
I will be harvesting full beans for the first time...
shuffles_gw
Interesting threads...
Searching for past posts isn't that easy, at least...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
Gialet della Val Belluna Bean
Has anyone grown this, or know anything about it? I...
rosieo
Marvel of Venice
I'd like to try a couple of plants of the yellow pole...
barbge
seed germinate
Got some blackened pea seed in the bulk section a the...
dons916
Sponsored Products
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Braided Area Rug: Colonial Mills Rugs Portico
Home Depot
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Braided Area Rug: Colonial Mills Rugs Portico Sharp
Home Depot
Braided Area Rug: Portico Sand 10' x 13'
Home Depot
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Braided Area Rug: Colonial Mills Rugs Portico Sand
Home Depot
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Braided Area Rug: Colonial Mills Rugs Portico Sharp
Home Depot