Sidney1515 . . . lemmeâ see that Mikado

Ludi _PA_7aJune 12, 2013

Hahaaaa . . . so as if slapped in the face today I figured out 2+2=4 (metaphorically speaking).

Sidney,

You posted a pic of your Mikado back in 2009.

Looooong story short . . . I bought my own Mikado last year because of your pictures alone.

THEN, Gesila sees your recent Behemoth post and gets the itch to explore look-a-likes . . . so I responded suggesting Mikado as a potential suitor . . .

I linked your old post from the google search to show her a mature specimen since mine is still a pip-squeak.

Then BAM . . . the light bulb went off and I figured out who you were (metaphorically speaking).

At the bottom of all this . . .

Can I ask pretty please for you to link us a new updated pic of you delicious Mikado.

Thank you so much in advance :)

Ludi

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sidney1515

I went out to get a picture several hours ago but a strong storm system has been traveling through. I'm back on the internet but I don't know if it will last. . lol
Ludi, your are going to love that bad boy. . He's a looker at all stages (IMHO)
Here is Mikado this year . .not fully out yet.

Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 11:10PM
Moccasin(z9aMobileAL)

Oh wow. I think he is about to eat that hosta down front.
Sidney, I'm seeing a beautiful well tended well loved hosta there. Happy as a bug where he's planted.

Does it make seed pods?

Ludi, is this the potential suitor for one of your Three Graces?

Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 12:35AM
muktowngal(Z5 WI)

Wow!!!

Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 12:41AM
Gesila(MI Z5)

Double, triple WOW!!!!

Gesila

Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 5:28AM
Steve Massachusetts Zone 5b

Sidney,

You should send that picture to Bob Axmear at the Hosta Library. The pictures they have there are nothing compared to yours.

Steve

Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 7:44AM
bkay2000

There's a link on the homepage of the hosta library where to send the photos. I sent one of my old time favorites, because I thought it looked a lot better than the current photos. I didn't expect him to put it on the main page, but he did. Send it. It's a beautiful hosta and a great photo.

bk

Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 9:06AM
Ludi _PA_7a

Oh sweet Lord . . . IâÂÂm having palpitations . . . thatâÂÂs the one Sidney !!!

::sigh:: A most handsome specimen. Your plant is the reason I bought mine.

I have to ask . . . how old is he ?

I remember last year later in the summer someone posted that Bridgewood was having an end of summer sale and everything was 35% off.

So like any good budding hostasholic I perused the website. While searching I came across the name Mikado.

I had not heard much (if anything) about this hosta and was intrigued by the name . . . has a sultry, regal ring to it.

I began searching for mature specimens and that was when I tripped over SidneyâÂÂs old post.

That was the clincher . . . it went in my basket immediately.

It came to me as a very small one eyed plant, and yellow to boot (not sure where Chick had it growing that year).

Here he is in 2012

I overwintered him in his original nursery pot, and had I not ripped half of it off while trying to pry it frozen from the cement it probably wouldnâÂÂt have suffered minor root rot. I ended up removing about a third of his original root system this spring when I potted him up into a 1 gallon. They were brown and squishy. Same thing happens to orchid roots when they rot so I knew what to look for. There were still plenty of healthy white ones so I wasnâÂÂt too worried, and decided to learn from my mistake.

Here he is this year. Still a single eye, but bigger. I have a feeling I am going to have to wait for the leap year to really see some major growth.

This is one I am going to have a hard time being patient with. I want the raging hulk you have in your garden, but if there is anything to be learned from hostas and gardening . . . it is patience.

Thank you again so much for posting your pic. I hope you donâÂÂt mind, but it is my desktop picture at the moment and I swoon every time I turn on my computer now . . . itâÂÂs great !

Moccassin . best believe he is a suitor !!! Only the best for my ladies. ;)

Cheers to gorgeous hostas,

Ludi

Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 9:56PM
More Discussions
Hosta Tiara 2014
Question: There is an ancient invention still used...
ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
Wave Runner
Does anyone have Wave Runner? There aren't too many...
bkay2000
Hosta F 2014
A dog thinks: Hey, these people I live with feed me,...
ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
Anyone wanna do Leaf shots? Hosta 'Dream Queen'
Who needs slo-poke 'Thunderbolt'? fwiw, hh
hostahillbilly
HOSTAS TOXIC TO DOGS (and cats too)
I just discovered hostas are toxic to dogs. How did...
hostanista
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™