Stargazer lilys virused?

alyciaadamo(3/4)June 18, 2010

I have a few stargazer lilys that I got bagged from Walmart. Most I think are the pink stargazer and a couple are the white one. On some of them the leaves are looking weird like they are stressed or something. Only a couple have this I am pretty sure it is just the pink ones(no blooms) I planted them this spring, we had a frost that killed a couple of them but 7 out of the 17 survived. I believe 2 or 3 have this same markings. The white ones were planted with no foliage and they look like they are coming up fine(solid green leaves).

Is this a virus? Stress or just fine? I know nothing of Lilies and I know Walmart was a bad place to buy Hostas because of disease but thought these would be ok. Wrong thinking?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alina_1

Looks like typical chlorosis (iron deficiency) to me. Read about treatment here. I apply Ironite plus. Works well usually.

Bookmark   June 18, 2010 at 11:41AM
hostaholic2 z 4, MN

I agree that it looks like chlorosis. Oriental lilies of which Stargazer is one variety like a somewhat acidic soil. If the soil ph is to high they are unable to take up the iron that is in the soil...thus chlorosis.

Bookmark   June 18, 2010 at 10:09PM
alyciaadamo(3/4)

Thank you very much. I would have thought our soil was acidic anyway I live in one top blueberry states. I will put some miracle grow on there tomorrow and then I will try to add some compost this weekend. Hopefully it will help it.

Is Walmart and Lowes a good place to get Oriental Lilies? I would like a couple more I do love them. They smell so good!

Bookmark   June 18, 2010 at 10:48PM
sunandshadow

I've gotten several lilies from Lowes and they all seem happy and healthy. Walmart not so much, at least the ones near me don't really carry potted lilies except easters, I've only gotten bagged bulbs.

Bookmark   June 18, 2010 at 11:43PM
alina_1

Neither MiracleGro nor compost will not cure chlorosis. You have to apply iron supplement.
Hostaholic is right, soil acidity helps to consume iron, but there are many other factors too. We have slightly acidic soil here in MD, but chlorosis is a common thing. Fortunately, it is usually easy to treat.

Bookmark   June 19, 2010 at 12:49AM
alyciaadamo(3/4)

Can I get an iron supplement at Walmart or Lowes? Or do I have to order it online? I am pretty limited in where I get plants and plant supplements where I live.

Bookmark   June 19, 2010 at 3:58PM
alina_1

I beleive I bought Ironite Plus at Lowe's. It could be next to lawn fertilizers.

Bookmark   June 19, 2010 at 4:40PM
alyciaadamo(3/4)

I think I am going to have to buy a lot. I went around today looking at my plants and almost half of all my perennials look the same! Last year they were fine. Even my peonies that have been in the ground for three years seem to have this this year.

What causes soil to turn iron deficient? Is there a plant I could plant with everything that puts iron back IN the soil? Or do I just have to keep getting iron supplement for my gardens?

Bookmark   June 21, 2010 at 5:26PM
alina_1

Lack of acidity usually causes soil to be iron deficient. Sometimes, heavy rains change soil's PH.

Here is another article about chlorosis. Adding sulfur to the soil can help to make it more acidic.

Bookmark   June 23, 2010 at 11:47AM
More Discussions
Is this weed some sort of lily?
No idea what this is, except that it is a weed, and...
jacqueline9CA
new growth on oriental lily
I received an oriental lily for my anniversary in december....
angelaivy
Extra large lily bulb
My daughter in Oregon recently dug a large Silk Road....
flowergirl70ks
Is this a Lily, or what is it?
I planted this as a bulb over 5 years ago, basically...
jacqueline9CA
Take that voles/mice !
My lilies were looking beautiful & increasing for...
pandora
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™