Help me satisfy my husband's pea craving

Katxena(z7 MD)June 10, 2008

I'll admit that I'm not a fan of peas. I tend to avoid them, so I don't know much about them.

But my husband (who is so picky it makes me want to cry sometimes) likes one particular kind of pea. If I can figure out what they are, I'd like to grow them for him.

He says that they have hard pods that you stick in your mouth and pop open with your teeth, then eat the peas (not the pod). He says the pod is about 2-3 inches long, and it bulges where the peas are, and that there are about 3-4 peas inside the pod. He doesn't remember what they are called or where he had them.

To me, what he's describing sounds like edamame, but he insists it's a pea. Any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jimster(z7a MA)

Sounds like edamame to me too. Ask him if the pods are smooth or fuzzy. Edamame is fuzzy. Ask him where he had them. If it was a Chinese or Japanese restaurant it was edamame.

Then just get some frozen edamame in the shells from your grocery store and prepare them per package directions. Ask him if they are the peas he had.

Jim

Bookmark   June 10, 2008 at 3:20PM
Katxena(z7 MD)

@jimster: it never occurred to me to get them from the store! Duh! That's what I'm going to try. Thank you!

He says he can't remember where he had them, which I find perplexing, since he loved them so much. But he doesn't pay that much attention to food.

Bookmark   June 10, 2008 at 4:54PM
jimster(z7a MA)

Edamame are a wonderful TV sports snack, so enjoyable and heathful as well. Better than chips and dip.

Jim

Bookmark   June 10, 2008 at 7:46PM
More Discussions
Interesting threads...
Searching for past posts isn't that easy, at least...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
Germination Test #1 Chinese Long Green long bean
My family has grown this variety of long bean since...
nightbloomincereus 7A noVA
Bush hyacinth bean
One of the joys of garden forums is being able to trade...
zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
Catjang/Brow Bean
I saw an interesting Vigna offered on eBay the other...
nightbloomincereus 7A noVA
How is the harvest going?
Just wondering how everyone's harvest results have...
deanriowa
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™