Too late to plant?

wittyraven(4)June 5, 2013

I bought a few lily bulbs last month with every intention of planting them right away. But I'm in AK and we had some surprise frost among other garden emergencies and I just never got the chance to plant them(first year growing a large amount of plants on a new property and I have a 2 year old who likes to "help" lol). Anyways, just wondering if I can still plant them and get blooms this year and if not what should I do with them to preserve till next year?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

Lilies don't store well - they never go fully dormant - so planting them now is the preferred choice. You have a short but very intense growing season so there is a possibilty of bloom this season although I wouldn't count on it. But if they are Asiatic lilies so should come up and bloom just fine next year. If they are orientals, they are probably not hardy in your climate. I might consider potting these up and growing them on in a container. Then they could be stored in a protected location over winter.

Bookmark   June 5, 2013 at 3:27PM
wittyraven(4)

Okay thank you! I will go ahead and plant them in a pot then. What size do you think I need if I planted 3 bulbs in container?

Bookmark   June 5, 2013 at 4:49PM
jennyzone5(6)

If it's an Asiatic, try for a container big enough to plant them 10-12" apart.

Bookmark   June 5, 2013 at 4:52PM
gardengal48

LOL!! You don't need it that big :-) We pot up thousands of lily bulbs each season at my nursery - 3 bulbs per 1 gallon container. They can be quite close but best to have them not touching (actual size depends on size of bulb - premium sized bulbs typically demand their own individual container).

You can space them out a bit more when you do plant in the ground but even that's not really necessary. Lilies grow tall and skinny so they don't take up much real estate. And they look better in clusters than they do dotted here and there. Just keep the bulbs from touching each other in the ground and you are good to go!

Bookmark   June 7, 2013 at 4:42PM
More Discussions
Please help me grow this Lily plant?
I have had this Lily for a long while. Very rarely...
Fathim_Zazu
Best/Favorite Co. to get Lily Bulbs?
I would like to add some tall fragrant oriental, chinese...
aunt_lou
got my first peace lilly...
On the sale rack at a big box store. Ive looked around...
jameya
Is this a Lily, or what is it?
I planted this as a bulb over 5 years ago, basically...
jacqueline9CA
Toad Lily
In five years, this is the first flower my toad lily...
TNY78
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™