recommendations ?

Matthew Condon - Indiana.Matt - IN, Zone 5/6(Indiana Zone 5/6)August 26, 2012

I'm looking for a deep pink colored iris that almost glows. Photos on Google of "Cranberry Ice" is like what I'm looking for.

Can anyone recommend a tall, bearded Iris that I might like. Is "Cranberry Ice" as bright as it looks in most of the photos on Google?

I have a deep purple "Superstition". I don't need another purple Iris. I need something that is for sure on the pink side.

"Superstition" looks purple from a distance, I need a deep pink Iris that looks pink from a distance.

Thanks,

Matthew

Indiana.Matt

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)

To my eyes,'Cranberry Ice' appears to be kind of red and purple, but if you like it, why not get it?

How about 'Sheer Ecstacy'? It's the brightest one I can think of in a dark pink.

True pinks are hard to come by in irises. The pinkest pink iris is generally thought to be 'Ovation' which is a historic iris. There are a lot of orchid pinks that are bright, like Persian Berry and Jennifer Rebecca.

Good luck with your search.
Renee

Bookmark   August 26, 2012 at 10:47PM
iris_gal(z9 CA)

'Cranberry Ice' would look great with 'Superstition'. It won an Award of Merit (AM) in '79. I'd put it in the group of red-purples-violet-etc. Not as wine-color as others.

As Hosenemesis said true pinks are difficult. The pastels come the closest.

Orchid pinks tend to glow, like 'Delirious' which is next to impossible to get a picture of its true color.

Love talking about pinks!

Bookmark   August 27, 2012 at 5:55PM
wieslaw59

I had Cranberry Ice many years ago and it had NOTHING to do with pink, even by a long shot. I yanked it, cause with me the color was always muddy. The only iris that looks deep pink from a distance is Ovation, but it has never been a good grower for me.

Bookmark   August 29, 2012 at 3:09PM
aseedisapromise

I know people like to always push the color envelope with their plants, but I decided long ago to just let the iris do what they do best, and when I wanted a bright pink by my Superstition, then I planted a Firewitch Dianthus.

Bookmark   August 29, 2012 at 11:33PM
hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)

Beautiful garden! Thank you for sharing this photo with us. I really love the dianthus with the black irises. Everything looks so perfect!
Renee

Bookmark   August 30, 2012 at 11:10PM
More Discussions
Herbicide recommendation for iris bed
Hello, I am usually solely a contributor in the vegetable...
hokiehorticulture
Consequences of transplanting in winter/early spring, zone 5
Hello, I have a question about transplanting irises....
kmburton
Moving iris
I have a large bed of Iris that I inherited. I have...
Beth1234
First Pseudata
This is the first pseudata (I. pseudacorus X I. ensata)...
eroctuse2
Homeless US Navy Veteran w. Iris seed to trade
Hello, I currently live at the Homeless Veterans Emergency...
BearState
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™