Question about crossing/mutation

aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. CanadaJune 2, 2010

When a crossing occurs is it normal to find all the beans in a pod the same or can it be only one bean. In a mutation will all the beans look alike in the pod?

Annette

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fusion_power

When a bean crosses because of bee activity, it is normal for 1 or more beans in a single pod to be pollinated by foreign pollen. Usually, the cross will be undetectable at the seed stage though in a few instances the seed coat will be a different color.

The best way to detect a cross is when the seed are grown out and you find either an unusual vine color or other traits such as flower color that do not match the parent.

I have Striped Bunch beans growing in my garden with about 300 plants in a row 120 feet long. There are 3 plants with purple stems indicating crossing when I grew those seed. Striped Bunch has very unusual runners so it is easy to walk down the row and pick out the odd plants.

DarJones

Bookmark   June 2, 2010 at 6:03PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada

A few years back I found one odd colored bean in a pod of Mr. Tung beans, the only other bean I grew then were my italians. Although these beans were grown about 20 feet apart with a greenhouse in between a bee must have found it's way from one to the other.
Mr. Tung beans are a dark beige in color, the italians are beige with purple swirls, the oddball is more pink than beige and a slightly bigger and a different shape, fatter. I've never had this happen before or since.
Here's a picture of Mr. Tung with the oddball. I just might try to grow it, see what it produces.

Bookmark   June 2, 2010 at 7:05PM
More Discussions
Show Me Your Trellis
This bean trellis was anchored by three foot long steel...
jimster
Stringless pole bean?
Hello, I would like to find a good pole bean that has...
cowabunga1
A roll call, who is still here and staying after the "upgrade"?
Harry are you still here? I hope so! You have always...
wertach zone 7-B SC
2015 Growing season
I've just been going through my stash making a list...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
Purple king beans
Hi I've grown runner beans before and found they do...
chloe456
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™