Question about crossing/mutation

aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. CanadaJune 2, 2010

When a crossing occurs is it normal to find all the beans in a pod the same or can it be only one bean. In a mutation will all the beans look alike in the pod?

Annette

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fusion_power

When a bean crosses because of bee activity, it is normal for 1 or more beans in a single pod to be pollinated by foreign pollen. Usually, the cross will be undetectable at the seed stage though in a few instances the seed coat will be a different color.

The best way to detect a cross is when the seed are grown out and you find either an unusual vine color or other traits such as flower color that do not match the parent.

I have Striped Bunch beans growing in my garden with about 300 plants in a row 120 feet long. There are 3 plants with purple stems indicating crossing when I grew those seed. Striped Bunch has very unusual runners so it is easy to walk down the row and pick out the odd plants.

DarJones

Bookmark   June 2, 2010 at 6:03PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada

A few years back I found one odd colored bean in a pod of Mr. Tung beans, the only other bean I grew then were my italians. Although these beans were grown about 20 feet apart with a greenhouse in between a bee must have found it's way from one to the other.
Mr. Tung beans are a dark beige in color, the italians are beige with purple swirls, the oddball is more pink than beige and a slightly bigger and a different shape, fatter. I've never had this happen before or since.
Here's a picture of Mr. Tung with the oddball. I just might try to grow it, see what it produces.

Bookmark   June 2, 2010 at 7:05PM
More Discussions
Storage System for Bean Collection
Hello, London Seedy Saturday was yesterday and besides...
LoboGothic
The Mayocoba Bean story
Have you heard of the controversy that evidently went...
ruthieg__tx
where to find Hilda/Helda romano pole beans?
Two yeas ago health problems interfered with getting...
matthias_lang
Gialet della Val Belluna Bean
Has anyone grown this, or know anything about it? I...
rosieo
New raised bed garden
I'm creating a raised bed garden in the front of the...
dbbob
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™