Botrytis and copper fungicide - questions

grandma_gardener_02June 29, 2012

Do bulbs transmit botrytis? I.e. do I need to dig up bulbs after a bad case of botrytis?

ALSO, is treating it with copper fungicide too toxic? If the copper is in the soil, will it prevent lilies from growing next year?

Really need to know answer to these questions, because I dusted the ground with the copper fungicide after I dug up diseased plants. Can I plant new bulbs in the same area after doing this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wieslaw59

Yes, copper is toxic and can lead to many diseases. Just google it and you will know. Just because something is occuring in nature does not mean you should use it anytime and anywhere. Just think, if people after you will want to grow vegetables in this place? Is it really necessary to use chemicals to protect some sickly lilies?

Bookmark   June 29, 2012 at 7:40PM
wieslaw59

The link below illustrates copper toxicity:

Here is a link that might be useful: What can copper make damage to

Bookmark   June 29, 2012 at 8:08PM
gardengal48

As with anything, it is all a matter of dosage - drink enough water and it can kill you too.

Here is a link that might be useful: a more reasoned approach to copper fungicides

Bookmark   July 1, 2012 at 4:56PM
wieslaw59

I would still recommend drinking unpolluted water. It is extremely rare somebody dies because of drinking pure water. Poisoned water is not good to drink for anybody. I do not have a link to support it, so you choose yourself if you believe it or not.

Bookmark   July 5, 2012 at 4:44AM
More Discussions
got my first peace lilly...
On the sale rack at a big box store. Ive looked around...
jameya
Best/Favorite Co. to get Lily Bulbs?
I would like to add some tall fragrant oriental, chinese...
aunt_lou
Wisconsin Illinois Lily Society news
Our winter Lecture Series is beginning this weekend! On...
linnea56
Extra large lily bulb
My daughter in Oregon recently dug a large Silk Road....
flowergirl70ks
Take that voles/mice !
My lilies were looking beautiful & increasing for...
pandora
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™