soybean plants but no bean

julieann_growJune 10, 2009

I have some really healthy looking soybean plants full of pods, but no bean inside! What happened? I think I planted Misono.

Also, what is the best tasting variety of edamame? I've planted edamame before but it was "furry". I'd like a smooth bean.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin

Furry??? Hopefully you mean the pods, which are not eaten; the beans are popped out with a squeeze after cooking.

Soybeans can take a long time to produce, much longer than string beans... often 80-90 days. Looking at my records, most of my soybeans bloomed somewhere around 45-55 days. The flowers & pods are very tiny at first, so they can be hard to see. My observations were for Maturity Group II & below, which are adapted for my Northern latitudes. Soybeans are daylength sensitive, so they might perform differently in SoCal.

If you haven't seen flowers in 60 days after sowing, and the leaf cover is heavy, my first suspicion would be excess nitrogen in the soil. If you have been having cooler than normal temperatures (as many have this year) that could also be responsible, since soybeans are a warm-weather crop.

The tastiest varieties I have grown so far were "Karikachi 3", "Hatsutaka", and "Tengamine", all from Sakate Seed Company in Japan. Hard to find here commercially. "Oosodefuri" (also from Sakate) is carried by Peace Seeds, and has been my highest yielder. The best tasting that I've tried from U.S. companies were "Butterbean" (from Johnny's) and "Shirofumi" (from SSE).

In your neck of the woods, you might want to try the varieties carried by Kitazawa. They could be better adapted to your climate than the varieties bred for short seasons.

Bookmark   June 11, 2009 at 4:18AM
jimster(z7a MA)

I've never had an edamame pod that wasn't furry.

Jim

Bookmark   June 11, 2009 at 11:28AM
julieann_grow

Thanks for the varieties list...sounds good.

The plants actually do have pods, but they are empty. Is that normal and I should just let them fill out? (it that is the case, then very different from green beans).

I suspect excess nitrogen. The other nutrient levels are fine.

Bookmark   June 12, 2009 at 6:19PM
zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin

If you have pods, you should get beans. Edamame soybean pods take a very long time to fill out, about 45-50 days.

Bookmark   June 13, 2009 at 1:34AM
More Discussions
True Heirloom Romano Pole Beans
I've been ordering Romano pole beans for the past few...
fignut
A roll call, who is still here and staying after the "upgrade"?
Harry are you still here? I hope so! You have always...
wertach zone 7-B SC
Algarve vs Helda vs Smeraldo
This year I am comparing Algarve, Helda and Smeraldo...
shuffles_gw
Genetics of Phaseolus lunatus
I really enjoy some of the colorful pole limas, but...
theodosiaunderwood
Margaret Best Greasy Cut Short
These took 66 days to the first picking. I planted...
shuffles_gw
Sponsored Products
3D Wall Panels Plant Fiber Sands Design (6 Panels Per Box)
Overstock.com
Spathyfillium with Stand Silk Plant
Overstock.com
Galvanized Metal Bucket Set
$69.99 | zulily
Lakeland Mills Murray Hill Log Nightstand - GL100-NATURAL
$379.99 | Hayneedle
Green Bird Green Outdoor Pillow
$169.00 | FRONTGATE
50-gallon Rain Barrel
$99.00 | FRONTGATE
Wood Country Cedar Wood Deluxe Master Gardener's Potting Bench - WC017