Grays lily & Wood lily

stacette(7b)June 4, 2005

Does anyone have a source for this lily. I know it is rare and protected in NC but I was wondering if there is a legal source for it? Also looking for a wood lily ... I have found a source for it but it is in Wisconsin wanted something closer so I would not have to pay shipping.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hld6(z7 MD)

Hi Stacette,

I looked on the web for Gray's lily. What a beautiful flower!

Fraser Thimble Farms listed it for sale last year. (http://www.thimblefarms.com/sbulb3.html) Their 2005 plant list will come out in July. They were't cheap ($7.50/bulb) but you could buy one bulb that you use for scaling and get a lot of lilies, (as long as you don't mind waiting for them to mature to get blooms).

Also the Boston Natural Areas Network "City Natives Nursery" sells both of the lilies you are interested in (in 1 quart pots) though it looks like it is "pick-up" sales only. (http://www.bostonnatural.org/nursery_catalog.php) Got any friends in Boston?

You might also want to contact the Species Lily Preservation Group. They have a page on the North American Lily Society website (www.lilies.org) just click on the link "Lily Societies". They hold a bulb sale every Fall for their members and make seed available. They have a list of their officers with contact info. Maybe they can tell you if they are going to offer the lilies you're interested in this Fall. Membership is $12/year. Depending on the cost of bulbs and the number you were planning on getting - this might mean a net savings to you.

-Helen

Bookmark   June 8, 2005 at 2:39PM
stacette(7b)

Helen,

thank you so much! I searched the web and could find nothing. There was a one page article in Carolina Gardening a month or so back on Grays Lily.

Bookmark   June 9, 2005 at 1:12PM
sarahbn(z6Pa.)

Here I ordered two from them, it's not Grays lily but it's wood lily snd it's in north carolina so maybe they still have some left by the way they are expensive but at least it's in North Carolina. Good luck. Sarah

Here is a link that might be useful: Wood lily

Bookmark   June 17, 2005 at 12:14AM
More Discussions
I'm sensitive to lily smell- has anyone heard of this before?
I don't mean to judge or critisize anyone for their...
hjihji
Extra large lily bulb
My daughter in Oregon recently dug a large Silk Road....
flowergirl70ks
Is this normal for my casablancas?
Good Morning, I planted casablancas last year in this...
rhoder551
Wisconsin Illinois Lily Society news
Our winter Lecture Series is beginning this weekend! On...
linnea56
hostaholic2 z 4, MN
Sponsored Products
Dimond Lighting D1619 Emmaus Chrome Table Lamp
Littman Bros Lighting
Uttermost Abelia Gold Arch Mirror
Beyond Stores
Safavieh Handwoven Moroccan Reversible Dhurrie Geometric-pattern Dark Grey Wool
Overstock.com
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Accent Rug: Artistic Weavers Rugs Charley Charcoal
Home Depot
Lil Mo Whimsy 17 Finger Paint Grey Rectangular: 5 ft. x 7 ft. Rug