Green beans producing, but very short plants

jpc57June 17, 2014

I am stumped about my green beans this year; they usually grow to about 2 feet or so but this year are very short; about 8-9 inches. The plants have mature green beans, just not very many of them. We had a cool, wet spring. Plants are planted in full sun. Blue Lake variety.

I'm in coastal Virginia, not far from the Chesapeake Bay. Plants are in a raised bed, grown without chemical fertilizers or pesticides. I do amend the soil with compost--should I add compost to top dress?

I'm thinking of planting a second batch, but will have to sacrifice the eggplant seedlings. Any idea what could stunt the growth of the green beans plants, so that I can correct any problems with the second planting?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fusion_power

Beans are weak nitrogen producers. Based on your description, it is likely they are nitrogen deficient. There are other possibilities such as nematodes, etc.

Bookmark   June 17, 2014 at 5:05PM
dlsm(Z9b Titusville Fl)

They need some type of fertilizer. You live close to the coast and the soil just don't have the elements needed for growth.

Luther

Bookmark   June 19, 2014 at 4:44AM
ettaterrell(7)

I was having the same problem!!! Did a home soil test and came out that I was very low in NPK added fertilizer and some of them pulled threw and started looking great. Now they are looking weak again so I fert. again today. So I would say you need to fert. But mine that went a long time with out me fertilizing never did grow much taller than 7 in. but luckily I realized what was going on in time and the 2nd secession I planted came threw

Bookmark   June 25, 2014 at 7:02PM
KWynne

Same issue here with same variety up in southern maine. A few others I know same thing same variety. Not good year for them?

Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 3:26PM
More Discussions
True Heirloom Romano Pole Beans
I've been ordering Romano pole beans for the past few...
fignut
Stringless pole bean?
Hello, I would like to find a good pole bean that has...
cowabunga1
2015 Growing season
I've just been going through my stash making a list...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
The Mayocoba Bean story
Have you heard of the controversy that evidently went...
ruthieg__tx
Genetics of Phaseolus lunatus
I really enjoy some of the colorful pole limas, but...
theodosiaunderwood
Sponsored Products
3 Pc. Solid Ash Wood Planters in Natural
| Dot & Bo
Prichard Two-seat sofa - Slate Blue fabric
Interior Define
Mount Vernon Arbor
Fifthroom.com
Jaipur Maroc Janan Flat Weave Stripe Pattern Wool Handmade Rug - RRC001010-0160
$58.00 | Hayneedle
Dragon Garden Accent Table
$249.00 | FRONTGATE
Border Concepts Traditional Adjustable Deck Trough with Liner - 72029
$54.99 | Hayneedle
Rose Nosegay Bouquet
$399.00 | FRONTGATE
Jaipur Konstrukt Linie Transitional Stripe Pattern Wool/Silk Handloom Rug Multic
$99.00 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™