Pale Peas

geodesicJune 12, 2013

Hi there,

I am new to gardening and planted my first vegetables this year in a raised bed. Lots of things seem to be growing very well, but the two varieties of pea I planted (Pisum sativum var sativum and "green arrow") seem to have the same problem - despite growing they both have very pale leaves and stalks.

I also have a serious problem with mushrooms - they are taking over the bed. Everything I've read seems to suggest that they shouldn't bother the plants, but i'm not sure it can be true in this case - after they pop up they turn into a black goo which coats the lower leaves and stalks of the plants. This has killed some seedlings, and I'm sure it can't be good for the larger ones.

Any ideas about how to deal with either of these problems?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dlsm(Z9b Titusville Fl)

geodesic, I would get rid of the mushrooms and the pale plants is a indication of a lack of fertilizer, mainly nitrogen. Do you have some type of carbon material in your raised bed that is depleting the nitrogen?

Luther

Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 8:37PM
susanzone5(z5NY)

New to gardening...have you studied up on what to do to make the soil fertile and loose? Have you worked some bags of additives like aged manure and compost into your soil before planting? That can make a big difference in plant growth. Mushrooms and mold show a really wet soil, OR the soil you used in your beds was from a mushroom farm which will sprout mushrooms. I hope you solve the mystery.

Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 7:45PM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

I think some peas have light pale green color naturally. But if they are somewhat yellow then they need more Nitrogen. A 10-10-10 granular can help them to have better foliage, better root system and eventually produce more peas. If it were leafy green I would feed then just some N-0-0.

Bookmark   June 19, 2013 at 3:32AM
More Discussions
Margaret Best Greasy Cut Short
These took 66 days to the first picking. I planted...
shuffles_gw
Interesting threads...
Searching for past posts isn't that easy, at least...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
Catjang/Brow Bean
I saw an interesting Vigna offered on eBay the other...
nightbloomincereus 7A noVA
Bush hyacinth bean
One of the joys of garden forums is being able to trade...
zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
Marvel of Venice
I'd like to try a couple of plants of the yellow pole...
barbge
Sponsored Products
Ceres White Onyx Vessel Sink
Signature Hardware
Pea Veggies Side Plate
$6.49 | zulily
Uttermost Arroscia Mosaic Mirror
Beyond Stores
Pale Pink - Satin Light Gray Shade Ovo Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Area Rug: Marsala Adobe 5' x 8'
Home Depot
Winston 54 in. Obscure Glass Top Round Dining Table - M8154RGU
$543.00 | Hayneedle
Charlotte Chipley Blue Oval Lamp Shade 6/8x11/14x11 (Spider)
$39.99 | Lamps Plus
Illumine Posts 3-Light Post Lantern English Bronze Finish Pale Cream Seeded
Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™