Star Gazer Lily not growing taller

catherinemnJune 21, 2009

I planted a potted star gazer lily last fall. It emerged from the ground in early May, but for the last 3-4 weeks has not been growing any taller...it is only approx. 6" tall. Do you know what the problem could be? Is it possible the soil is too compacted and maybe I should work up the soil around it? I just don't want to damage the plant.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alina_1

Potted Lilies are treated with chemicals to suppress growing (shorter Lilies easier to store and sell). Also, the bulb could be small. Next year it'll be fine. Do not cut the foliage until it will go dry and brown.

Bookmark   June 21, 2009 at 11:24AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
linnea56(z5 IL)

Have you had a lot of rain? I have a lot of established lilies, and some of my orientals, notably the Stargazers, are unusually short. I do have some that are only four inches to a foot, with a single bud. Since for me nothing has changed, I am wondering if somehow all the rain is responsible. It would be interesting to know if other people are having this problem. I have much fewer buds on all the lilies this year, with the exception of my Orienpets.

Bookmark   June 23, 2009 at 11:49PM
More Discussions
What the heck happened to my hybrid lilies
I brought this pot of lilies at home depot and it was...
tlbean2004
Extra large lily bulb
My daughter in Oregon recently dug a large Silk Road....
flowergirl70ks
I'm sensitive to lily smell- has anyone heard of this before?
I don't mean to judge or critisize anyone for their...
hjihji
Need help with Lilies of the Valley
Hello, I purchased a package of lilies of the valley...
Deb Capecci
id for pink crinum
I am looking for the botanical name for the pink crinum...
linda_leaf z10fla
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™